PolyChronion for Priests

Amanedes8

I am looking for the music for a polychronion for a priest. Does anyone know where to find one either in Greek or English???

thanks

apostolos

Απόστολος Κομπίτσης
I am looking for the music for a polychronion for a priest. Does anyone know where to find one either in Greek or English???

thanks

Hi,

In actuality, there is no such thing as a Polychronion for a priest. Technically, the only polychronia that were written were for the king and the patriarch, and they were chanted within the context of the Divine Liturgy just before the Gospel reading. (The patriarch's is still chanted to this day at the Patriarchate, but after the distribution of the antidoron at the end of the Divine Liturgy. And this is a syntomon version, not the longer drawn-out version we may have heard recordings of.)

Funny thing, I have actually seen a polychronion for the SULTAN!! (And I think I have a copy of it somewhere...) But that is something that might be a later addition. (I'm not sure if the sultan's polychronion was ever chanted within the Liturgy; personally, I doubt it, but maybe someone has information about this.)

What are also later additions are polychronia for hierarchy (mostly archbishops). All of these later additions had no place in the Liturgy and were (are) only chanted perhaps at the VERY END of vespers or Liturgy (AFTER the "Di' efxon"), or perhaps at an event honoring the hierarch or during a concert of Byzantine Music. Again, these are not "standard", but rather polychronia composed according to the standard patriarchal models, always ending with, "Kyrie fyllate afton, eis polla eti, eis polla eti, eis polla eti."

Apostolos

Amanedes8

Thanks!!! These are great. I want to ask if anyone can translate them into english with byzantine notation? (I have a special request from a church choir that chants byzantine notation!)

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
The time is rather short....The choir asked me for it to be chanted this sunday.

Indeed, that is a very short time frame, but I can possibly write one in the next few days. What is the name and title of the priest?

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
I have heard this chanted in the 2nd Mode -Does anyone have a setting in that Mode --the popular one posted above seems another shadowing of Sakellerides.

JPP

domesticus

Lupus non curat numerum ovium