Saint John the Russian

JohnvanderHoek

Νέο μέλος
Dear Colleagues,

Are there two different Filadas for the feast day of St John the Russian? Recently a booklet called the Vios and Asmatiki Akolouthia (1938) was posted on Psaltologion for download, and the Doxastaria of
Karamanis and that of Dositheos Monachos Katoniakiotou (2008 edition) supports this text, but the
Doxastarion of Georgios Syrkas supports a completely different text with only the apolytikion in common.
Does anyone have an explanation.

Regards, John

goldengreek25

Μέλος
Yes, there are at least two different akolouthies written in honor of St. John the Russian. I'm not sure who wrote the older one, but the newer one was composed by Fr. Gerasimos of Little St. Anne's Skete, Mount Athos. I'm not sure which is used more widely. You are correct, however, that at least they share a common Apolytikion.

JohnvanderHoek

Νέο μέλος
Dear Colleagues,

Does anyone have details of the book and publisher where the akolouthia
of St John the Russian by Father Gerasimos of Little St Anne's Skete appear?

Can anyone say which akolouthia for St John the Russian is most widely used
in Greece? The one from 1938 that was previously provided on Psaltologion or
the one above?

Regards, John

goldengreek25

Μέλος
The copy that I have of the akolouthia by Fr. Gerasimos says it was published by the Saint's Pilgrimage in Prokopion, Evia in 1974.

As for which is more widely celebrated, I do not know. I would imagine that at the Saint's church in Evia the akolouthia by Fr. Gerasimos is used (as they were the ones who published it). As it is more recent than the other akolouthia, it incidentally also mentions "Evia" and "Greece" throughout the service instead of solely "Asia". But I believe I've seen musical scores set to both akolouthies.