Request: Automela chanted Parallagi

Loukas12

Reader Luke
I'm putting this in the English forum, but obviously would accept any recordings, as the Parallagi doesn't include any words.

But I'm currently learning Byzantine Notation, and was practicing figuring out the notes for certain Automela. I noticed that Fr. Seraphim Dedes' Automela match the Greek almost entirely in the Byzantine notation.

Because of that, I'm looking for recordings of the Automela in Parallagi form, rather than with words. Does anyone know of such recordings?

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
I'm putting this in the English forum, but obviously would accept any recordings, as the Parallagi doesn't include any words.

But I'm currently learning Byzantine Notation, and was practicing figuring out the notes for certain Automela. I noticed that Fr. Seraphim Dedes' Automela match the Greek almost entirely in the Byzantine notation.

Because of that, I'm looking for recordings of the Automela in Parallagi form, rather than with words. Does anyone know of such recordings?

I remember some years ago Theodore Vassilikos had a CD of the Prosomia of Ioannis Protopsaltis. I do not know how it presented the materials i.e. whether it contained parallegi and a chanted hymn sample or just the chanted sample. I could think of a thousand better artists, but as far as what's available in this country. Otherwise I would suggest talking to Apostoliki-Diakonia.

I have thought about doing a selection of popular prosomia in parallegi form for students. Its a project that comes in and out of my radar.

JPP

Loukas12

Reader Luke
The book "Ta Prosomia" by George Hatzichronoglou may also be worth looking into:

http://analogion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15040

I guess it would also be helpful mentioning that I cannot read/comprehend Greek.

I took two semesters of modern Greek, and spent 3 months living in Greece, but that wasn't enough, especially to be able to retain it after 5 years. I can read Greek text, but for the most part, I can't comprehend or understand what I'm actually reading, other than gathering a generic idea.

Side story: When I would attend divine services in Greece, I would be chanting "in the pews" along with whatever the choir was chanting, and people would come up and try to speak to me in Greek and I would have to respond "δεν καταλαβαίνω" or "δεν μιλω ελληνικα" to which they would look very puzzled.

I get by on this forum by combining my mediocre understanding of Greek with Google Translate and the general context.

Last edited:

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
I guess it would also be helpful mentioning that I cannot read/comprehend Greek.

I took two semesters of modern Greek, and spent 3 months living in Greece, but that wasn't enough, especially to be able to retain it after 5 years. I can read Greek text, but for the most part, I can't comprehend or understand what I'm actually reading, other than gathering a generic idea.

Side story: When I would attend divine services in Greece, I would be chanting "in the pews" along with whatever the choir was chanting, and people would come up and try to speak to me in Greek and I would have to respond "δεν καταλαβαίνω" or "δεν μιλω ελληνικα" to which they would look very puzzled.

I get by on this forum by combining my mediocre understanding of Greek with Google Translate and the general context.

Generally, I use the Irmologion of Ioannis as my stock "guide" -it's pretty indisputable. We use HTM Brookline texts, and it fits into most of those metrical indices nearly perfectly.

JPP

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Generally, I use the Irmologion of Ioannis as my stock "guide" -it's pretty indisputable. We use HTM Brookline texts, and it fits into most of those metrical indices nearly perfectly.

JPP

Ioannis is good; I sometimes use Petros Byzantios as a comparison, or just for something, and he has some very interesting lines sometimes. It is also interesting that he occasionally divides up some of the lines differently than Ioannis (grammatically speaking).

For those that are more interested in the current oral tradition as practiced in Greece, I would recommend my teacher (Hatzichronoglou's) book referenced above. He tends a little more toward the way the melodies are actually chanted by most of the psaltai today.