Passing of the Archon Protopsaltis of the Archdiocese of Canada, Konstantinos Lagouros (March 3, 2021)

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Dear Friends,

In Joyful Mourning and Lamentation, I announce the metastasis of Konstantinos Lagouros, Archon Protopsaltis of the Archdiocese of Canada, Archon Protonotarios (Protonotary) of the Great Church of Christ, Professor of Theology at Sherbrooke University, and former Professor of Physics and Mathematics at the University College of Edouard Montpetit.

Mourning and Lamentation, because his metastasis means the end of a Golden Age of Traditional Chanting in North America, especially in Montreal, Canada.

Mourning and Lamentation, because his metastasis removes another Great Protopsaltis, and Teacher/Mentor from us.

Mourning and Lamentation, because we now have one less Counselor, Guide, Icon, Reference Point.

Mourning and Lamentation, because we are now deprived of a loving Friend and Father.

Mourning and Lamentation, because we will be deprived of his deep theological knowledge.

Mourning and Lamentation, because we will no longer listen to the melodious interpretations of the lessons and hymns of the Church, as he received them from his Great Teachers.

Mourning and Lamentation, because some of his original works remain unfinished.

Joy, because the talent that God gave him, he invested it in love and multiplied it manifold.

Joy, because his mellifluous larynx was the instrument that Christ God guided to help the prayer and the spiritual uplifting of hundreds of thousands of Montreal faithful, uplifting them from the earthly to the heavenly, in every service, from small to overnight vigil.

Joy, because from his love were born and raised worthy priests, monks and nuns, and chantors who serve not only the church, but the people, on all continents of the earth.

Joy, becuase his example made his students and friends better Christians.

Joy, because his work did not remain local, but spread worldwide.

Joy, because God called him to his metastasis at a very mature and deep age.

Joy, because through his good apology, God the Lord blessed a "Christian end of life, painless, shameless, and peaceful."

Dear Friends, I feel (perhaps too much) that "Such a Protopsaltis truly meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, [….], exalted above the heavens". I will not tire you with the biography of Archon Lagouros, or with a narration of the great work he leaves us to add to and to enrich. I will mention only the recent works. In his later years, Archon Lagouros completed a complete Lexicon of the "Difficult Terms and Words" of the Paraklitike (Octoechos). As a linguistic work, it is original and complete. He completed a list of the eirmos and canons (Odes 1 and 3) of the feasts of the Main and "lesser" Saints of the Church, in Byzantine notation, respecting the original forms of the eirmoi from the classical Eirmologia. He transported the handwritten musical manuscripts of the Second Volume of the Doxastika of the Year of his Teacher Antonios Syrkas into a formal and accessible publication. With the vocal strength he had in recent years, he recorded hard-to-find musical manuscripts and works of Nileas Kamarados as he learned them from Antonios Syrkas, a student of Nileas.

Loaded with joyous grief, I will not add more words. For those who are interested in learning more about the work of Archon Lagouros, you can navigate online at the links below.

May God rest him, the most recently-crowned entrant into the Triumphant Church, and may his memory and example be Eternal for us.

The Least among Christians and chantors,

Nikolaos Giannoukakis
student

Relevant internet links:
https://analogion.com/forum/index.php?forums/Λαγούρος-Κωνσταντίνος.255/
https://www.ieropsaltis.com/psalt_Lagouros.htm
http://ikoukouzelis.com/archives/8534

Last edited: