H. Tillyard, "The Rediscovery of Byzantine Music"

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
I scanned and uploaded H. Tillyard's article "The Rediscovery of Byzantine Music". It is an interesting document from the historical point of view. An attentive reader will not fail to notice that according to Tillyard, despite some rumours claiming the opposite, Ioannis Sakellaridis (who was his teacher in Byzantine chant) had an excellent voice. He will also observe how little Tillyard knew of the scope and character of the reform of the Three Teachers and whom he considered to be the main Greek opponents of the theories advanced by Welesz, Hoeg and himself.

Attachments

• SCAN0075.PDF
    142.7 KB · Views: 52
  • SCAN0076.PDF
    186.5 KB · Views: 43
  • SCAN0077.PDF
    192.1 KB · Views: 38
  • SCAN0078.PDF
    53 KB · Views: 36

greek487

Tasos N.
Shota,

Beyond its historical significance, it seems as though this article can serve as a great conversation starter because of its general overview of byzantine music studies as seen by H. J. W. Tillyard. Would you care to continue your response to this article in further detail?

For example, how does Tillyard misunderstand the reform of the Three Teachers?

Tillyard suggests that Psachos and Karas 'declared war' on the European students of Byzantine chant by supposedly claiming that "Only Greeks can understand Greek music." What were the differences between the Western scholars and the Greek scholars at that time? Have any of those differences been resolved today? Is there a similar divide between them today as well? Or are they bridging some of their differences?

It seems as though Tillyard had little interest in how oral tradition interprets written tradition and instead focused exclusively on written tradition, as did Wellesz. What do we think about this approach?

Tillyard explains and praises Wellesz's contribution as putting "the whole undertaking (i.e. the study of byzantine music) on a logical and scientific basis." How do you view Wellesz?

Perhaps a separate thread specifically on Wellesz is needed.

Thanks and Merry Christmas,
Taso

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
Shota,

It seems as though Tillyard had little interest in how oral tradition interprets written tradition and instead focused exclusively on written tradition, as did Wellesz. What do we think about this approach?

Tillyard explains and praises Wellesz's contribution as putting "the whole undertaking (i.e. the study of byzantine music) on a logical and scientific basis." How do you view Wellesz?

I think it would be wise also to note, that the Copenhagen scholars, particularly Tillyard were noted students and devotees of Ioannis Sakellerides and his "reforms" of the music, and were deeply influenced in their approach and attitude toward the music and oral tradition, and which still seems to influence certain quarters of the liturgical chant circle.

JPP