Byzantine Chant by Hierodeacon German (Ryabtsev)

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Hello everyone,

Glad to be here on Analogion... this is my first post, I figured I'd share something interesting.

I've become fascinated lately by the recordings from Valaam Monastery in Russia- those done by Hierodeacon German (Ryabtsev), who appears to be an extremely prolific arranger and chanter... his CD recordings can be found here. http://orthodoxmusic.ru/rqs38.e.html?pg=2

His music is really interesting in and of the fact that it is usually Znamenny or Valaam chants, but he uses an ison, which is quite nice to listen to and sounds rather Byzantine.

However, I wanted to share the following video (if anyone knows where the recording of the entire Kanon (not just the Heirmoi) can be found, I'd be extremely grateful to know!)

Anyway, here is the video; it consists of the Heirmoi of the Paschal Kanon, chanted in First Mode, in Greek, by Hierodeacon German:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olJ0KUYpNmw

(By the way, as I said, I'm new on the forum, and my Greek is terrible... is there any way to change the site for my computer so that all the buttons, etc, are in English and not Greek?!)

Thanks!

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
(By the way, as I said, I'm new on the forum, and my Greek is terrible... is there any way to change the site for my computer so that all the buttons, etc, are in English and not Greek?!)

At the bottom left of each forum page there is a language menu that allows one to select English as the forum language. Send me a PM if you cannot find the menu. Welcome to the forum.

GabrielCremeens

Got it working now, sir. Thank you for pointing that out; I didn't notice it at first.

There are a couple other good recordings that Fr. German does in Byzantine chant... his recording of Agni Parthene is excellent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC6cYKQ4-tQ

And if I remember correctly, some of his other recordings are in Byzantine chant as well, which can be found on various CDs.

Dimitri

Staff member
.. in Byzantine chant...

... it is usually Znamenny or Valaam chants, but he uses an ison, which is quite nice to listen to and sounds rather Byzantine.

I would stick to your original description. It sounds like Byzantine chant but for many reasons it isn't. For example, the intervals sound western, the ison is not used in a traditional way, there is no vocal ornamentation neither traditional vocal projection and the timing (tempo) of the performance is mechanical and simplistic. Not trying to undermine the recording, just pointing out some technical aspects that differentiate it from "Byzantine chant".

By the way, the original Simonopetra "Agni Parthene" has also been criticised for deviating from traditional "Byzantine chant" too.

Π. Δαβίδ

Γενικός συντονιστής
By the way, the original Simonopetra "Agni Parthene" has also been criticised for deviating from traditional "Byzantine chant" too.

And its use during church services forbidden in some dioceses (e.g. Diocese of Mesogaia & Lavriotiki).

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
From what I've heard while a layman Fr. German was a rock musician. Maybe that's why in his recordings he is mixing and remixing his voice so that it sounds as if a little choir is chanting.

GabrielCremeens

Hmmm... never heard that, sir. How does "Agni Parthene" deviate from traditional Byzantine chant?

As far as its liturgical use goes... it may be forbidding in some dioceses, but in some churches, I've heard that it is chanted during Holy Communion, or at the beginning of Vespers. Was its use forbidden in other dioceses because it is not intrinsically liturgical (i.e. is not an apolitikion, etc), or because of the fact that it is not "traditional" Byzantine chant, or a combination of these?

Dimitri

Staff member
It deviates rhythmically (3/4 waltz-like rhythm is uncommon in Byzantine chant), ison is used like vertical harmony at places (instead of a discreet drone on the basis("ison") of the mode being chanted), systematically overlapping verse ending and refrain is also innovative. Timing (chronos) and vocal performance are somewhat simplistic, song-like rather than traditional chant (which is vocally ornamented based on the interpretation of the quality signs of Byzantine notation and uses variable beat lengths - rubato). The non-liturgical nature of the piece (as mentioned) is another argument against its use in church, even though - as you say - a lot of churches chant it inside or outside services.

GabrielCremeens

It deviates rhythmically (3/4 waltz-like rhythm is uncommon in Byzantine chant), ison is used like vertical harmony at places (instead of a discreet drone on the basis("ison") of the mode being chanted), systematically overlapping verse ending and refrain is also innovative. Timing (chronos) and vocal performance are somewhat simplistic, song-like rather than traditional chant (which is vocally ornamented based on the interpretation of the quality signs of Byzantine notation and uses variable beat lengths - rubato). The non-liturgical nature of the piece (as mentioned) is another argument against its use in church, even though - as you say - a lot of churches chant it inside or outside services.

Does the Simonopetra arrangement and recording of Psalm 135 receive the same sort of criticism, due to its being in 3/4 time?

Also, when you stated that Fr. German's recordings sound like Byzantine chant, but really aren't, due to non-traditional ison, Western-sounding intervals etc... could these same statements be applied to some other popular chanters in America, such as the "Eikona" singing group and Fr. Apostolos Hill, or the Boston Byzantine choir?

Shota, you stated that Fr. German was a rock musician... do you know anything else about him? As in, how to get in touch with him, where to find his music, or anything like that?

Last edited:

Dimitri

Staff member
Does the Simonopetra arrangement and recording of Psalm 135 receive the same sort of criticism, due to its being in 3/4 time?

There are more traditional versions of it by other Athonies in 6/4 (3/4 + 3/4, "ditrochaios daktylikos" rhythm - don't know the term in English). Doing it in plain 3/4 is uncommon, even though the difference is subtle - it has to do with rhythmic emphasis. Some people believe that even the 6/4 popular Athonite pieces (psalms, non-liturgical hymns etc.) were recent innovations. Truth is though that they are widely used in practice in our days inside and outside Athos.

Also, when you stated that Fr. German's recordings sound like Byzantine chant, but really aren't, due to non-traditional ison, Western-sounding intervals etc... could these same statements be applied to some other popular chanters in America, such as the "Eikona" singing group and Fr. Apostolos Hill, or the Boston Byzantine choir?

Haven't listened to all of them but for the ones that I have, certainly yes. If you think this is going to be an interesting discussion for people feel free to provide specific recording examples in a new thread.

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
Shota, you stated that Fr. German was a rock musician... do you know anything else about him? As in, how to get in touch with him, where to find his music, or anything like that?

Some of the Russian members of the forum might know it. As far as I know he's not directing Valaam monastery choir any more.

zinoviev

Μέλος
Is the popular melody of "Agni Parthene" invented by the monks of Simonopetra? If yes, then are there some older melodies for this hymn?