1st idiomelon at Vespers for Transfiguration

RichardRBarrett

Μέλος
Hi,

First time contribution -- the first idiomelon at Vespers for Transfiguration. This is really intended to be more of an adaptation than an original composition -- I used the version that's in Kypsele as the model (attached), and tried to follow the the phrasing and the contours of the melody as best as I could while following the necessary formulas for the stress patterns of the English (HTM translation). Please advise, though -- this is the very first first draft of a first-timer, and I'm sure there has to be much I've done wrong.

Apologies in advance for the legibility -- I'm a Mac user who doesn't do Parallels or any other kind of dual-boot scenario, so I'm stuck with my own cheirography until somebody fixes the font package to work on the latest version of Office for OSX (which theoretically supports macros now, but the font package still doesn't work). I also discovered when I went to scan it that the pad I'm using is slightly bigger than letter size, so there were some minor things cut off at the edges (the 's of "mercy's" at the very end, for example).

Thanks in advance -- since we're just at the apodosis, there's plenty of time to fix it before it can be used next year. :) If I'm on the right track, I'll continue with the rest of it.

Richard

Attachments

• 1st idiomelon at vespers for transfiguration (Barrett).pdf
    860.8 KB · Views: 29
  • first idiomelon at vespers, transfiguration (kypsele).pdf
    154.6 KB · Views: 11

greek487

Tasos N.
Hi,

First time contribution -- the first idiomelon at Vespers for Transfiguration. This is really intended to be more of an adaptation than an original composition -- I used the version that's in Kypsele as the model (attached), and tried to follow the the phrasing and the contours of the melody as best as I could while following the necessary formulas for the stress patterns of the English (HTM translation). Please advise, though -- this is the very first first draft of a first-timer, and I'm sure there has to be much I've done wrong.

Apologies in advance for the legibility -- I'm a Mac user who doesn't do Parallels or any other kind of dual-boot scenario, so I'm stuck with my own cheirography until somebody fixes the font package to work on the latest version of Office for OSX (which theoretically supports macros now, but the font package still doesn't work). I also discovered when I went to scan it that the pad I'm using is slightly bigger than letter size, so there were some minor things cut off at the edges (the 's of "mercy's" at the very end, for example).

Thanks in advance -- since we're just at the apodosis, there's plenty of time to fix it before it can be used next year. :) If I'm on the right track, I'll continue with the rest of it.

Richard

Congrats Richard!

It seems to maintain the character of the original, yet adapting for the English text very nicely.

I would've used it this evening if I had seen it in time.

For the second phrase ('..a mountain..), you might want to try bou-bou-ga-di-di (with a gorgon on the ga), and then continue with ('became like') without a klasma, having of course having adjusted the parallage. We see many times in byzantine compositions where the melody drives upward whenever the hymn speaks of a 'mountain'.

For the beginning of the very last phrase ('...for Thy great mercy's sake.), I would prefer bou-bou-ga-di ..., instead of di-bou-ga-di. And for the very last word ('....sake'), I would use the vareia, ison, apostrofos as in the original model.

But please take my suggestions with a grain of salt. The advice of experienced composers will surely be more beneficial.

Looking forward to more!

RichardRBarrett

Μέλος
Thanks, Taso; I like your suggestions and will incorporate them unless somebody comes up with a theoretical/formulaic/orthographic reason not to.

Anybody else have other suggestions?