Byzantine Music in Turkish

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
We just received the following email, and I was wondering if any of
you have something that I can tell him to help him out.
Thanks.
+Fr. Ephraim

Here's his email:

Sorry my English is not good. I wonder if any Turkish Orthodox groups
are using Byzantine chanting in the Turkish language. I have heard
that in Moldova there are Turkish groups and they are Orthodox. Is it
possible to find chanting in the Turkish language. Thank you. Salih

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
I don't know Father but would also be interested to hear about it if someone knows. The only thing in Turkish that I know of is the Gospel recitation by Fr. Ploutarchos Konstantidis [rm] (from ieropsaltis.com).

μάρκελλος

Μάρκελλος Πιράρ, Γενικός συντονιστής
We just received the following email, and I was wondering if any of
you have something that I can tell him to help him out.
Thanks.
+Fr. Ephraim

Here's his email:

Sorry my English is not good. I wonder if any Turkish Orthodox groups
are using Byzantine chanting in the Turkish language. I have heard
that in Moldova there are Turkish groups and they are Orthodox. Is it
possible to find chanting in the Turkish language. Thank you. Salih

In fact, the Gagauz people (about 130.000 persons) live in the Republic of Moldova, they are Christian Orthodox and their language belongs to the Turkish linguistic family. I shall do my best to know if their liturgical language is gagauz (and eventually obtain some recording) or Rumanian.

master_yianni

Αργός και μετά μέλους
The Turkish Orthodox cult of papa-Eftim, probably and up to a certain extent, utilises Byzantine music in their "Ceremonies". If someone has personal experience maybe they can clarify for us.

According to this link:
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Turkish-Orthodox-Patriarchate

"Currently there are three churches in Istanbul, one of whom (Aya Yani) is leased to the Assyrian Church of the East. According to most observers, there are no members outside the Erenerol family and about 500 sympathizers in Turkey, most of them Gagauz Turks. The Gagauz Turks like most Turkish Orthodox in Turkey still remain affiliated with the Greek (Ecumenical) Patriarchate of Constantinople."[

Last edited:

NikolaosD

Νικόλαος Τσούκας
You might like to follow the link on that message on our forum, where you can hear turkish byzantine chanting in turkish. I am yet to determine where it originated from though.. Strange thing is that it features small abstracts in arabic.