Sunday Evening Vespers, 2010-03-07

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
I have attached a recording of the Sunday Evening Vespers that was chanted tonight in English at St Mary Antiochian Orthodox Church in Pawtucket, RI.

The chanters in these recordings are Rassem El-Massih and myself (and various others). I am the softer-voiced singer with a less noticeable accent.

The music for "Lord, I have cried," "Let my prayer," the "Set, O Lord, a watch" verses, "O Joyous Light," and the Prokeimenon was composed by Papa Ephraim of St Anthony's Monastery. The music for the rest of the Kekragaria, the Aposticha, and the Apolytikia was composed by me. I posted those scores to another thread.

I am aware that there are many deficiencies in my performance. For those who might listen to these recordings and notice these deficiencies, I humbly ask your forgiveness. Please bear in mind that I have not yet received any formal training in Byzantine vocal technique (or Western vocal technique, for the matter). If anyone would be so kind as to offer me any suggestions for improvement, I would be very grateful and do my best to follow them. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 01 Kekragaria.mp3
    6.6 MB · Views: 42
  • 02 O Joyous Light.mp3
    866.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 03 Prokeimenon.mp3
    3 MB · Views: 20
  • 04 Aposticha.mp3
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 05 Apolytikia.mp3
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
I have attached a recording of the Sunday Evening Vespers that was chanted tonight in English at St Mary Antiochian Orthodox Church in Pawtucket, RI.

The chanters in these recordings are Rassem El-Massih and myself (and various others). I am the softer-voiced singer with a less noticeable accent.

The music for "Lord, I have cried," "Let my prayer," the "Set, O Lord, a watch" verses, "O Joyous Light," and the Prokeimenon was composed by Papa Ephraim of St Anthony's Monastery. The music for the rest of the Kekragaria, the Aposticha, and the Apolytikia was composed by me. I posted those scores to another thread.

I am aware that there are many deficiencies in my performance. For those who might listen to these recordings and notice these deficiencies, I humbly ask your forgiveness. Please bear in mind that I have not yet received any formal training in Byzantine vocal technique (or Western vocal technique, for the matter). If anyone would be so kind as to offer me any suggestions for improvement, I would be very grateful and do my best to follow them. Thank you in advance.

Basil --one thing I can suggest, since you identified your voice on the recording, is more diaphragmic support. Breathing from the tummy is going to give you more power and consistancy. Without seeking out operatic technique, it might be worth while seeking out a good vocal instructor for breathing technique and support.

Otherwise, its a nice recording.

JPP

Panagiotis G.

Μέλος
Basil, thank you for posting this recording and the music scores. You and Rassem did a very nice job I thought. I was wondering what text you were using for the English troparia from the Triodion.

Thank you,
Panagiotis

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
Basil, thank you for posting this recording and the music scores. You and Rassem did a very nice job I thought. I was wondering what text you were using for the English troparia from the Triodion.

The English troparia from the Triodion were taken from Mother Mary (of Bussy-en-Othe) and Kallistos Ware, The Lenten Triodon (London: Faber and Faber, 1978), 186-187, 351-352.

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
Basil -I got your e-mail and will respond in more detail. This week has been kind of crazy with work, and preparing last minute score corrections for the Salutations, etc Hope all is well.

John, sinner and reader