Learning Prosomia and Heirmos

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Hello all,

Ευλογείτε!

Just a quick question (actually two) that I've been considering lately. As I think I understand it, an important part of being a chanter is learning prosomia. Holy Transfiguration Monastery has their well-known Prosomia Book, which I may purchase soon, along with the CD, to begin learning. Since I am completely new at chanting, is learning the prosomia a good way to start learning the modes and Byzantine music in general, or is it better to try another approach? (I'm also going to begin using the Margaziotis book to learn Byzantine notation.) (On a related note, does HTM's Prosomia Book contain all prosomia, or simply heavily-used ones?)

My other question regards the heirmos (pl: heirmosi?) for Kanons. Is there a resource, comparable to HTM's Prosomia Book for learning the heirmosi (please correct me if I'm getting the plural incorrect here)? I thought that perhaps I saw something like this among Fr. Seraphim Dede's works available for purchase, but I have never bought anything of his yet, so I don't know for certain.

Thanks!

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
Although HTM's Byzantine Prosomia book is available for free online, I prefer the Original Melodies book by Fr Seraphim Dedes. The melodies in the HTM publication are mostly modern variants and are inferior to the standard, classical melodies found in Fr Seraphim's publication. Another advantage of Fr Seraphim's publication is that it is available in both Western and Byzantine notation. In general, the musical publications by HTM cannot be trusted to employ good primary sources and methodology (in contrast to their translations).

The music for the heirmoi of the various canons, both "argon" (slow) and "syntomon" (fast), can be found in the Heirmologion (along with the music for various prosomia). The standard classical Heirmologion is that of Ioannis Protopsaltis (1903), which is available for free online. In English, there is no complete Heirmologion, but Fr Seraphim's book of Katavasiae is a start. Unfortunately, there are few metrical translations of canons in English, so a full English Heirmologion is not really possible at this time (and would be of limited usefulness).

A strong command of the various prosomia used throughout the liturgical year is definitely a requirement for any chanter. But typically they are studied after one learns the basics (i.e., how to read the notation as well as the main resurrectional hymns of the Anastasimatarion).

GabrielCremeens

Although HTM's Byzantine Prosomia book is available for free online, I prefer the Original Melodies book by Fr Seraphim Dedes. The melodies in the HTM publication are mostly modern variants and are inferior to the standard, classical melodies found in Fr Seraphim's publication. Another advantage of Fr Seraphim's publication is that it is available in both Western and Byzantine notation. In general, the musical publications by HTM cannot be trusted to employ good primary sources and methodology (in contrast to their translations).

The music for the heirmoi of the various canons, both "argon" (slow) and "syntomon" (fast), can be found in the Heirmologion (along with the music for various prosomia). The standard classical Heirmologion is that of Ioannis Protopsaltis (1903), which is available for free online. In English, there is no complete Heirmologion, but Fr Seraphim's book of Katavasiae is a start. Unfortunately, there are few metrical translations of canons in English, so a full English Heirmologion is not really possible at this time (and would be of limited usefulness).

A strong command of the various prosomia used throughout the liturgical year is definitely a requirement for any chanter. But typically they are studied after one learns the basics (i.e., how to read the notation as well as the main resurrectional hymns of the Anastasimatarion).

Thanks Mr. Basil. Do you know of a specific reason why HTM meters most of the hymns in their Menaia, but did not meter their kanons, with the exception of a few (Small Paraklesis, Great Paraklesis, and perhaps a couple more)? Do you know if anyone is currently working on a metered English Heirmologion?

So, you would recommend starting of with Margaziotis' Teach Yourself Byzantine Notation book, then moving on to the Anastasimatarion mentioned at the end of Margaziotis' work?

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
Thanks Mr. Basil. Do you know of a specific reason why HTM meters most of the hymns in their Menaia, but did not meter their kanons, with the exception of a few (Small Paraklesis, Great Paraklesis, and perhaps a couple more)? Do you know if anyone is currently working on a metered English Heirmologion?

So, you would recommend starting of with Margaziotis' Teach Yourself Byzantine Notation book, then moving on to the Anastasimatarion mentioned at the end of Margaziotis' work?

I am in HTM's jurisdiction, and have spoken to Fr. Pachomios, the proto-translater there --I think a partial answer is that most of the Canons are read in contemporary Greek practice, whereas the prosomia/Kathismata are almost always chanted. they didn't want to take the time. I believe the issue was touched on in the Menaion

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος

I would add to Basil's post, most of HTM's prosomia are simplified and rather ideosyncratic -many of them seem to to be drawn from Sourlatsis' catalogue of Prosomia and Kathismata rather than the classical Hiermologia. Many (such as O Strange Wonder Plagal 4th Mode) are drastically different from the classical versions in Ioannis and Petros Vysantios and are almost unrecognizable.

HTM's *Liturgical texts* are identical in meter to their Greek counterparts, and fit nearly perfectly into Ioannis and Petros Vysantios melodies from their respective hiermologia. My advise is, not that my advise matters, if you are at all a plucky musician, to learn the classical prosomia parallegi from the source and then learn to chant the metered texts from HTM's liturgical texts, adapting the minutae as needed.

Just a thought.

A good remainder of Advent

John, sinner and psaltis

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος

Margaziotis is good, but Konstantinou's Theory and Practice of Byzantine Music is better IMHO. Actually, Protopsaltis John Boyer from California is working on a textbook that I have been previewing (unfortunately I cannot share at the moment). It is very good and follows a textbook struction familiar to most American students --it is in English.

John, sinner and psaltis

GabrielCremeens

Margaziotis is good, but Konstantinou's Theory and Practice of Byzantine Music is better IMHO. Actually, Protopsaltis John Boyer from California is working on a textbook that I have been previewing (unfortunately I cannot share at the moment). It is very good and follows a textbook struction familiar to most American students --it is in English.

Thanks, sir. Is Konstantinou's Theory and Practice of Byzantine Music available online? Also, do you know when Mr. Boyer's textbook will be available? I've started on Margaziotis, and it's helpful, yes, but it would be nice to be able to read the entire book, instead of a few notes in English. I suppose I'll work with what I've got. :)

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
TimGabe1992 said:
Thanks Mr. Basil. Do you know of a specific reason why HTM meters most of the hymns in their Menaia, but did not meter their kanons, with the exception of a few (Small Paraklesis, Great Paraklesis, and perhaps a couple more)?

The introduction to the Menaion hints that the compromise was made out of concern for time.

TimGabe1992 said:
Do you know if anyone is currently working on a metered English Heirmologion?

Not that I know of.

TimGabe1992 said:

Yes. But in place of the standard Greek Anastasimatarion, you could just as well use the Vespers book from St Anthony's Monastery. In fact, I especially recommend doing so because of the availability of transcriptions in Western notation, which can serve as a "solution key" if you have any trouble reading the Byzantine notation.

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
While we're on the subject, I thought I'd summarize the English Byzantine music textbooks of which I'm aware:

Byzantine Chant: The Received Tradition, Theory and Practice by John Michael Boyer
The introduction states: "This text is modeled closely on the 1997 book Theory and Practice of Ecclesiastical Music by Georgios Konstantinou. Some changes have been made for readers foreign to Greek singing, for reasons of format and also due to theoretical discrepancies between the contents of Konstantinou's book and the positions of other theorists vis-à-vis performance practice." The book includes an explanation of the basics of Byzantine notation as well as several examples of analysis (development). One advantage of this book is that it covers the old notation symbols which Simon Karas recommended reintroducing. Two disadvantages of this book are that it is incomplete and not readily available. The author may provide a draft copy via private email.

Byzantine Music in Theory and Practice by Savas I. Savas (Holy Cross Press, 1965)
This book contains a generally satisfying discussion of the basics of Byzantine notation along with information about the various scales and modes (as well as a chapter on the relationship of Byzantine music to Western music, with transcriptions). This book is significantly more thorough than most of the others in this list (over 100 pages). This book and the one above by JMB are probably my favorite English Byzantine music textbooks. Unfortunately, this book is out of print.

Byzantine Music Simplified by Fr Nicholas Kastanas
This is the introductory textbook used in Fr Nicholas Kastanas' introductory Byzantine music classes at Holy Cross Seminary. It was also the first textbook I used back in 2006. Unfortunately, I lent my only copy to someone who never returned it, so I can't provide a thorough review. As I recall, the explanations were clear and concise. But as the title suggests, the book is intended to be merely a cursory introduction to the basics of Byzantine notation. Only the most basic notational and theoretical concepts are covered. A copy can probably be obtained from any student who took his class, or by directly contacting the author.

A Guide to the Music of the Eastern Orthodox Church by N. Lungu, G. Costea, and I. Croitoru (Holy Cross Press, 1984)
This is a translation of the Romanian Gramatica Muzicii Psaltice. One advantage of this book is that it provides many examples in both Byzantine and Western notation. Nevertheless, it is marred by several drawbacks, including some questionable opinions and interpretations of Byzantine music theory. Papa Ephraim of St Anthony's Monastery described some of these drawbacks earlier this year.

Reading Psalmodia by David Melling (2000)
The introduction states: "This book offers a basic introduction to the notation in which the traditional chant of the Byzantine churches is written." Although this book contains much historical background, this is often provided at the expense of a clear and concise explanation. The beginning reader will be overburdened with complex concepts which are introduced unnecessarily at every stage. Few examples are provided to break up the heavy discussion.

A Guide to the Transcription of Post-Byzantine Chant by Frank Desby, Alexander Lingas, Jessica Suchy-Pilalis, and Dimitri Conomos (National Forum, 2000)
Rather than a discussion of Byzantine music theory "from the ground up," this book provides examples of how one could transcribe Byzantine music into Western notation. This book presents a rather curious approach to the transcription of Byzantine music into Western notation which attempts to capture every minute detail of the original score in the transcription. Despite my firm belief that such an approach is both confusing and impractical, I still occasionally find this book useful as a concise reference or "cheat sheet," especially when producing compositions or transcriptions of my own. Nevertheless, I employ a much different transcription style.

Papa Ephraim wrote in April: "it is very unfortunate that there is no complete textbook in English yet that presents the theory and practice of Byzantine music thoroughly and accurately." One thing to keep in mind is that contemporary Byzantine music performance practice cannot be learned from a theory book alone. An important component of chanting is oral tradition. Oral tradition cannot be fully described in a book; it is best learned through the traditional process of mimicry (imitation of a master chanter).

It is necessary to study both theory and practice. There is a danger inherent in reading the theory books mentioned above without the aid of a good teacher. The danger is that one might get the impression that Byzantine music is performed exactly in accordance with what is described in the theory books. This impression is incorrect (this is certainly something I struggled with). The books above contain many varied opinions and interpretations of Byzantine music theory (some more solid than others). A good teacher is necessary not only to clarify these theoretical discussions but to solidify them with concrete examples of oral tradition.

Simon Karas attempted to systematize many components of oral tradition, reflected in his works and those of his "disciples," including Georgios Konstantinou (and JMB). In the USA, where the oral tradition is not strong, his approach has gained popularity. Karas' systemization is very useful (and of great significance from a musicological point of view), but in my personal opinion it cannot completely replace the traditional process of mimicry when it comes to authentic performance practice.

I realize that it is not always easy to find a good Byzantine music teacher in the USA. I certainly spent many years looking. There are some resources that can help. For example, I have been able to utilize several computer programs to help me learn the correct intervals of Byzantine music. And I have been able to study the Western notation transcriptions from St Anthony's Monastery to learn some common vocalizations. I have also been able to improve my chronos by listening to recordings of Patriarchal chanters which have been posted to analogion.com and other Web sites. But in the end, being able to talk to a good teacher has been very important.

For these reasons, my advice to a beginner would be to learn the basics of Byzantine notation from Margaziotis (or the book by Kastanas) and then to find a teacher as soon as possible in order to work on the more subtle components of chronos, intervals, and vocalizations. There are additional resources that can help with these things (such as Scala, Western notation transcriptions, recordings, etc.), but they are best utilized in combination with the traditional process of mimicry. In order to avoid confusion and study efficiently, keep in mind the individual drawbacks of the theory books mentioned above as well as the use of any theory book without the complement of a good teacher.

Last edited:

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
One final point I would like to make is that I cannot overemphasize the use of exercises. Regardless of which theory book you use for discussion and explanation, mastering dozens of exercises is crucial to developing good notation-reading skills. Whether these exercises come from Margaziotis, Konstantinou, or other books (I actually used exercises from an Arabic Byzantine music textbook) is irrelevant as long as one figures out each exercise carefully and without the use of a recording ("solution"). My teacher told me that he spent so much time practicing exercises that in the end his hands hurt from keeping time. If only we were all so dedicated!

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
Thanks for that list of English Byzantine music textbooks, Basil, and for your commentary on each one.

Regarding the "Guide to the Transcription of Post-Byzantine Chant," I think the results one would get by following it (without any other knowledge of Byzantine chant) would be similar to the results one gets out of those computer programs that automatically translate texts from one language to another. Following that Guide would accurately capture the details of the durations and pitches of notes, but it would entirely miss melodic aspects of the oral tradition that the Three Teachers assumed everyone knew and therefore didn't explicitly include in their notation. Δημήτριος Νεραντζής published a whole book (Συμβολὴ στὴν Ἑρημνεία τοῦ Ἐκκλησιαστικοῦ Μέλους) in which he filled several hundred pages listing all these interpretations.

For example, when an ison is preceded by a vareia and followed by an apostrophos with an aple or a diple, almost all chanters with even a little experience would know that instead of chanting the ison at a single pitch for one beat, it should be chanted at that pitch for only half a beat, while the other half beat is chanted at a pitch one step higher than that ison. Unfortunately, this "Guide" ignores this and other such interpretations that are an essential part of traditional Byzantine chant. It is as if the authors of this "Guide" forgot that Byzantine notation is a descriptive notation and not a determinative notation, and that the oral tradition of Byzantine chant is the source of the written tradition and not vice versa. This approach is sort of like making an accurate, high-resolution computer scan of an impressionistic painting of some scene, and then claiming that that computer scan is really how that scene appears in real life. (In case you aren't familiar with impressionism, here's an example: )
images

I've written a little article that explains many of these issues in more detail at: http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/music/NotationB.htm

Two other less serious problems with this "Guide" are: 1) the abundance of orthographical errors in their Byzantine notation examples, and 2) the unsatisfactory font they used for writing Byzantine notation. Their font has several symbols that look very different from the symbols one would encounter in any books of Byzantine music.

Despite all these drawbacks, I would still recommend this book to beginners who are familiar with Western notation because it contains plenty of information that most beginners would find helpful.

Last edited:

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
Thanks, sir. Is Konstantinou's Theory and Practice of Byzantine Music available online? Also, do you know when Mr. Boyer's textbook will be available? I've started on Margaziotis, and it's helpful, yes, but it would be nice to be able to read the entire book, instead of a few notes in English. I suppose I'll work with what I've got. :)

I don't think the Konstantinou book is on line. Kyr Boyer has Greek connections and should be able to point you in the right direction. His website is koukouzelis.org

JPP

chriskont

Παλαιό Μέλος
Dear Friend
blessed new year,
Concerning prosomoia and eirmoi you can see www.analogion.net liturgical texts (f. Leo Schefe). There you can enter the subject aftomela prosomoia eirmoi and there is an alphabetical list of about 750 troparia with their recordings(also in each mode separately). Also a list of the books on which the recording is based and the chanters who chant the troparia. Some of them have got two different voices chanting. Look into the liturgical texts, which I corrected, also together with Fr Leo gathered up the prosomoia from the liturgical texts and found the recordings. Many of them, mainly those not existing in the classical eirmologion are chanted by me(especially from Mr Papahristos' neon eirmologion), who completed what is missing from the classical eirmologion OF IOANNIS AND PETROS VIZANTIOS. We mean the short melodies not the extended. Also in the same webpage you can listen to Sunday Vespers and Matins with recordings chanted by Mr Fotios ketsetzis, a very known chanter and teacher who taught byzantine music in Boston and now he is in Piraeus, Greece. He recently allowed us to insert the links of his recordings. Where you see the word akoute, you can listen to the recording. Also in the list with the prosomoia and eirmoi pressing the mouse on the blue numbers beside the hymns you can listen to them from there.
Kontaxis Chris
Athens,Greece

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
Check

http://www.analogion.com/Sourlantzis.html

The page contains both the scores and the audio files of the prosomoia chanted by the late music teacher Dimitrios Sourlantzis. It's a very valuable source. Although it's in Greek, with the current status of affairs (and for many forthcoming years) I don't think there's a way for avoiding Greek teaching materials and doing the teaching process exclusively in English, simply because there's not enough stuff (instructors too) and sufficiently long tradition of BM available in English. Furthermore, listening to Greek recordings is essential for acquiring a correct chanting style (intervals, vocalisations, overall expression etc).

GabrielCremeens

Check

http://www.analogion.com/Sourlantzis.html

The page contains both the scores and the audio files of the prosomoia chanted by the late music teacher Dimitrios Sourlantzis. It's a very valuable source. Although it's in Greek, with the current status of affairs (and for many forthcoming years) I don't think there's a way for avoiding Greek teaching materials and doing the teaching process exclusively in English, simply because there's not enough stuff (instructors too) and sufficiently long tradition of BM available in English. Furthermore, listening to Greek recordings is essential for acquiring a correct chanting style (intervals, vocalisations, overall expression etc).

Is there a comparable resource with recordings of the different heirmosi?

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
Is there a comparable resource with recordings of the different heirmosi?

Not available for free I think. There are commercial recordings (e.g. the comprehensive series of the late Konstantinos Katsoulis) which have all heirmoi recorded in quick and slow versions. Others have recorded them too, I think Theodoros Vasilikos is one of them.

Btw, regarding prosomoia see also the recently added book Προσόμοια υπό Παπαμιχαήλ Βασιλείου.

zinoviev

Μέλος
While we are still on the topic...

Which one is the oldest publication of the prosomia using the New Method?

And another, maybe more difficult question: Are there scripts with the prosomia using the Old Method or in the past the prosomia were always learned oraly? It would be interesting to compare the medieval version of the prosomia with the contemporary version.

herron.samuel

Ieropsaltis
While we are still on the topic...

Which one is the oldest publication of the prosomia using the New Method?

And another, maybe more difficult question: Are there scripts with the prosomia using the Old Method or in the past the prosomia were always learned orally? It would be interesting to compare the medieval version of the prosomia with the contemporary version.

I would assume the answer to that question would be the same answer: The Heirmologion of Petros Lampadarios. Many a year ago I believe Analogion posted a manuscript scanning of the Petros Heirmologion in the Old Notation. As for the new notation, I assume the first transcription of this would be the first instance of prosomia in the New Notation, but I don't know when the first transcription of the Petros Heirmologion was.

I do have the original scans myself from those many years ago, but they are broken up into 8 parts and rather large, so I do not think they would be able to be uploaded here. Perhaps Dimitri still has a link? If not, I could find a way to upload them in the next couple of days.

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
I think that Ioannis Protopsaltis Heimologion is still the best comprehensive resource for the classical melodies for the prosomia, kathismata and hiermoi, and made it a point to memorize as many of them as possible --most of HTM's English translations (say what you want about their music, I may probably agree with you) are metered to fit the Greek originals.

I know Vassilikos has a recording out -I do not have it so I cannot vouchsafe its quality. Nektarios Thanos has some excellent recordings of the slow versions and they are available on this website under his name.

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
I would assume the answer to that question would be the same answer: The Heirmologion of Petros Lampadarios. Many a year ago I believe Analogion posted a manuscript scanning of the Petros Heirmologion in the Old Notation. As for the new notation, I assume the first transcription of this would be the first instance of prosomia in the New Notation, but I don't know when the first transcription of the Petros Heirmologion was.

I do have the original scans myself from those many years ago, but they are broken up into 8 parts and rather large, so I do not think they would be able to be uploaded here. Perhaps Dimitri still has a link? If not, I could find a way to upload them in the next couple of days.

Georgios Mikhailakis has both the Petros Byzantios and Petros Lampadarios Eimologia on his upload site. They are individual paged jpgs and I have collated them into PDF's. Excellent resources