Chanting Double Katavasias

JohnvanderHoek

Νέο μέλος
Dear Colleagues,

On some Sundays we chant double Katavasias as for Pentecost where the
first set of katavasias are in Varys (on Ga) and the second in Ichos Tetartos (legetos). When the katavasia of the first ode (Pontw ekalipse..)of the first kanon is finished, we are on Ga. The 1st katavasia of the second kanon (Theiw kaliphtheis...) starts on Di of Tone 4.

Some chanters teach that the pitch of Ga of the first kanon = pitch of Vou for the second kanon. Is this the correct practice. I do not follow this practice, but keep the pitch of Di the same in both sets of katavasias.

Regards, John

apostolos

Απόστολος Κομπίτσης
Dear Colleagues,

On some Sundays we chant double Katavasias as for Pentecost where the
first set of katavasias are in Varys (on Ga) and the second in Ichos Tetartos (legetos). When the katavasia of the first ode (Pontw ekalipse..)of the first kanon is finished, we are on Ga. The 1st katavasia of the second kanon (Theiw kaliphtheis...) starts on Di of Tone 4.

Some chanters teach that the pitch of Ga of the first kanon = pitch of Vou for the second kanon. Is this the correct practice. I do not follow this practice, but keep the pitch of Di the same in both sets of katavasias.

Regards, John

John,

Typically, after the first chanter ends on GA, the second chanter will drop down a note to BOY, picking up the new base, and continue from there. This is the way I've heard it done on Patriarchal recordings.

Apostolos