Typikon terminology for dummies?

Dear Rubricians,
Is there a book available that explains many of the different parts of the services in context of their origins? I'm doing some real basic chanting lessons, and I'm getting questions about the terminology that I'm unable to answer. For example, somebody asked me about the Anavathmoi, and I told him that they are "hymns of ascent". He asked why they are called that, and I didn't have an answer (other than to say that I think they're roughly based on the "Psalms of ascent" from the Psalter.) Was there a time when the chanters/choir actually "ascended" as they chanted these hymns? I'm not neccessarily looking for just the answer to this question, but I'm looking for a book (or website) that explains all the different kinds of hymns, what their names mean, and what actions accompanied their chanting in the "good old days".

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Rdr Moses

ps- I'm cross-posting this in the Typikon and Byzantine Chant Yahoo! Groups. I know there's a lot of folks who read and post on both lists, so forgive the repetition.

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
This site here explains the parts of the Orthros (Matins) service but it is in Greek. I don't know of an English site. It says that the Anavathmoi took their name from the set of Psalms (119-133) that are called the Psalms of Ascent (Αναβαθμοί). Somewhere else I read that the Jews used to read those psalms while ascending to the temple. But as far as I know they have nothing to do with Orthodox psaltai "ascending" to anywhere other than God (and that ascension most likely symbolise).