Troparia against Jews and Greeks

C

chretienorthodox

Mr Moderator,

Please permitt me to think thread title does not violate your rules.
I have read in many web-sites that cousitis metropolitan of America Pavlos, instructed his priests and sacrι-singers to never sing troparia anti-jewish.
Also late Chrystodoulos ecumenist archbishop of Greece secretly instructed his priests and sacred singers to never sing troparia agaist Greeks.
Because I beleive these troparia must be sung in the churches I please you and your forum members to offer me information about their "address" in liturgical books: name of book (meniaion, paracletiki etc) and place inside it (date if miniaion, day and echos if in parakletiki etc).

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
First let me say that starting a discussion based on rumours from websites isn't very productive. Secondly, characterizing hierarchs ("ecumenist") is out of the scope of this forum and therefore unacceptable.

As far as I know there are no anti-national troparia in liturgical texts. The references to Greeks and Jews refer to ideologies and not the nations themselves. Modern people's "political correctness" cannot help identifying the two however and misunderstandings occur. That's my personal view, being no expert on the issue.

A typical example where troparia with references to Jews are usually avoided is in the Engomia of Holy Saturday.

C

chretienorthodox

Mr Moderator

Please accept my many thanks for, you yourself, replied to my posting.
On your comment that starting a discussion based on rumours from websites isn't very productive, I answer:
" Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass there in these days?" Luke 24:18 (KJV).
As for "characterizing hierarchs ("ecumenist") is out of the scope of this forum and therefore unacceptable" I change wording "late Chrystodoulos ecumenist archbishop of Greece" to "late Chrystodoulos archbishop of Greece officially involving in ecumenism.".
I thank you much more for your information that "troparia with references to Jews are usually avoided is in the Engomia of Holy Saturday" and am proud to write down here an example:
"Arrogant Israel, blood-stained people, why did you freed Varavas from passion and handed the Savor Christ over?".

With regards
Sincerely
George Theodosiou
www.geocities.com/chretienorthodox

P.S. My thanks also to your forum members for thanked you for your reply to me. GT.

Today Thursday October 9, I found at www.anastasis.org.uk a better english translation for above verse:
"Why so boastful Israel,
people tainted with blood?
why did you deliver Barabbas from his pains,
yet hand over Christ the Saviour to a Cross?"
Greek prototype at www.analogion.net, and here in symbol fonts
[font=symbol, 14pt] Alazwn Israhl, miaiofone lae, ti paqwn Barabban hleuqerwsaV, Swthri de paredwkaV Cristw;[/font]
and in beta code here:
"A)lazw\n I)srahl, miaiofo/ne lae\, ti\ paqw=n Baraba=n h)leuqe/rwsav, Swth=ri de\ pare/dwkav Cristw=|?"
It's 58th verse of first Stasis.

Today Friday October 10, I made some corrections to my translation.
Today October 15 I added the verse in symbol fonts.
Today October 21 I add following troparion about "greek wisdom".

"Filled with wisdom and true knowledge, the Martyrs showed the folly of Greek wisdom, destroyed the skilled teacher of wickedness and, having valiantly competed, fittingly received with joy the crowns of victory."

from http://www.anastasis.org.uk/sun1mc.htm "ode 3" "of the Martyrs".
Greek prototype at http://www.analogion.net/glt/texts/Och/Tone1Mon.uni.htm here in symbol fonts:
[font=symbol, 14pt]Sofia kai gnwsei alhqei, oi MartureV plhroumenoi, ellhnikhn sofian emwranan, ton sofisthn te kakian wlesan, kai sterrwV aqlhsanteV, epaxiwV elabon touV thV nikhV stefanouV, ghqomenoi.[/font]
and here in beta code:
"Sofi/a| kai\ gnw/sei a)lhqei=, oi( Ma/rtures plhrou/menoi, e(llhnikh\n sofi/an e)mw/ranan, th\n sofistou= te kaki/an w)/lesan, kai\ sterrw=s a)qlh/santes, e)paci/ws e)/labon tou\s th=s ni/khs stefa/nous, ghqo/menoi."
I have corrected "to\n sofisth\n te kaki/an" to "th\n sofistou= te kaki/an". So, instead of anastasis translation: "the skilled teacher of wickedness", I translate: "the wickedness of skilled teacher". Wherefore my english translation is:
"Filled with wisdom and true knowledge, the Martyrs showed the folly of greek wisdom, destroyed the wickedness of skilled teacher(s) and, having valiantly competed, fittingly received with joy the crowns of victory."
Today November 5th, 2008 I add this:
In greek text as of mr Leo Schefe (at analogion.net) reading "to\n sofisth\n te kaki/an" is in grammatical and/or syntax error. It's clear that anastasis reads "to\n sofisth\n th=s kaki/as". I read "th\n sofistou= te kaki/an".

Last edited: