Theory book of Nickolas I. Kakoulidis

GeorgeStevens

Νέο μέλος
Does anyone know where I could obtain the Byzantine Music theory book by N. I. Kakoulidis that goes with his tape cassettes?

GeorgeStevens

Νέο μέλος
I have come across a setries of 5 magnetic tape cassettes which I understand from the introductory comments were produced by a psalti of the name Nickolas I Kakoulidis of blessed memory. He was born in Russia and eventually migrated to Canada and then to the US in 1967 where he was appointed by The late Archbishop Iakobos as the protopsalti of the Archdiocese of N & S America. I am assuming that he produced a book to go along with the cassettes because he refers to numbered pages in this book. I am asking if anyone knows where I can obtain a copy, assuming that one exists.
His Biography can be read here in Greek http://www.giannakouros.gr/nk.html

Thanks for any help

Pappous43

Παλαιό Μέλος
I have come across a setries of 5 magnetic tape cassettes which I understand from the introductory comments were produced by a psalti of the name Nickolas I Kakoulidis of blessed memory. He was born in Russia and eventually migrated to Canada and then to the US in 1967 where he was appointed by The late Archbishop Iakobos as the protopsalti of the Archdiocese of N & S America. I am assuming that he produced a book to go along with the cassettes because he refers to numbered pages in this book. I am asking if anyone knows where I can obtain a copy, assuming that one exists.
His Biography can be read here in Greek http://www.giannakouros.gr/nk.html

Thanks for any help
It seems that Nicholas I. Kakoulidis and the other one I proposed Georgios I. Kakoulidis are brothers, sons of Ioannis Kakoulidis.
I visited the web site of G.I.Kakoulidis and here is an extract freely translated into English:
"...Georgios Kakoulidis ...was born in Drama from Pontioi (Russian) refugees in 1935... his father Ioannis was a professional chanter... he completed his studies near his protopsaltis brother Nikos (=Nikolaos) ...He was invited some times to America where he gave recitals with his choir and taught Byzantine and Demotic (=traditional) Music in various (=American) cities."

G.I.K. also made tapes/casettes with B.M. exercises and hymns together with a book, but I donot know whether this is the same work as that distributed by his brother N. It would make sense to have made this work together with N.I.K than separately duplicating the effort instead of combining it, if we consider that the two brothers sat together in the US.
If the two works are separate then G.I.K may have a copy of what you are after.
In any case it would appear advisable to contact G.I.K. about this question.
I do have G.I.K.s Greek book "Theory and Praxis of Byzantine Ecclesiastical Music, Athens 1988". It refers to casettes numbers 40, 41, 11 and 42.
If you could give me some information on the contents & serial numbers of your tapes I can check whether they are the same.
I hope I have been of service to you.

GeorgeStevens

Νέο μέλος
Unfortunately the cassettes I have were copied from somewhere and so there is little or no information on when this was originally recorded. I do know that N Kakoulidis passed away in 1982. I will try to contact his assumed brother. I have GI Kakoulidis's music books but not anything on theory.

thanks for the info

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Nikos Kakoulidis never produced any such tapes. You probably have copies of George Kakoulidis' tapes which are mislabeled. As stated by others, George Kakoulidis has produced a series of tapes that accompany a book. Best to contact him.

NG