Textbook: Byzantine Music in Theory and Practice (Savas I. Savas)

Reader Nick

Νέο μέλος
Hi All,
Under the "Scale Chart" discussion, the textbook by Prof. Savas I. Savas was mentioned, although it is out-of-print. I was advised to ask Holy Cross Seminary about it, and they responded that I should check Amazon and other used book places (From Fr. Joachim Cotsonis: "This title is long out of print. Possibly Amazon might have a copy?"). Not being able to find it, I went through interlibrary loan, and scanned it. Holy Cross has not responded yet about providing it, and since they seemed very reluctant about being able to locate it, I have provided it here:

http://www.byzantinechant.org/resources.html
Thanks! I hope it is helpful!
And, if anyone knows of any issues in providing it, please let me know.
-Nick

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Dear Reader Nick:

Holy Cross is very particular about its copyrights.

Please ensure you have all permissions from the Seminary before you post this to the public or distribute.

There are people who already have the book but have not disseminated it because of implicit copyright matters.

As useful and helpful as you wish to be, consider the legal and ethical ramifications of copyright.....

NG

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the information Mr Giannoukakis. I have temporarily removed the link until we are informed there is no issue with its distribution.

Reader Nick

Νέο μέλος
I have emailed Tanya Contos at Holy Cross to look into the Copyright issues, and am awaiting her response. Given the nature of Fr. Joachim's response, it seemed like it would be ok to post it, although, as has been noted, permission is needed.

I apologize for posting too hastily...I was quite excited that I actually found the book. :eek:)

I'll update this if it goes through.

-Nick

Reader Nick

Νέο μέλος
Hi All,
I just received permission from Holy Cross Press to distribute the material in print and pdf for learning purposes (for no monetary gain).

See attached.

Thanks!
-Nick

Attachments

• Savas_copyright permission.pdf
    130.8 KB · Views: 113

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
Thank you and thanks to the college for the permission. I restored the link.

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
The Savas textbook depends closely on Margaziotes' theory book, which it often quotes verbatim, while also abbreviating and simplifying it. The Margaziotes textbook (especially in combination with Margaziotes' exercise book) is not as bad as some Karas adepts want us to believe, once one realises that things like elxeis and analyseis are learnt in practice classes. What Margaziotes lacks is a clear description of isokratema and a little chapter on basic makams (10 or so) widely used in ecclesiastic compositions, e.g. leitourgika and Axion estin. Otherwise it's okay for a novice, and it is certainly written methodically and with a degree of pedagogic mastery. It may even give a good entry point for somebody with Western music training, even if in general the Western music parallels it provides are of little relevance for most people.