Tarsos: software for the (ethno)musicological research

nikosthe

Νίκος Θεοτοκάτος
Thanks Shota, it seems a very promising project: the program accepts Scala files and the tone scale, which is used for musical reference, is editable, which means than you can easily import any byzantine scale and see the voice of the singer through it! The easiest way to use is to run it from the tarsos website. But if you want to use it offline, you have to download (not to run!) the tarsos.jnpl file and place it at the same directory with the tarsos.jar file. See the tarsos.zip attachment, you will find both files, I downloaded them for you and for anyone who is interested.

Attachments

• tarsos.zip
    17.3 MB · Views: 52

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
Thanks Shota, it seems a very promising project: the program accepts Scala files and the tone scale, which is used for musical reference, is editable, which means than you can easily import any byzantine scale and see the voice of the singer through it! The easiest way to use is to run it from the tarsos website. But if you want to use it offline, you have to download (not to run!) the tarsos.jnpl file and place it at the same directory with the tarsos.jar file. See the tarsos.zip attachment, you will find both files, I downloaded them for you and for anyone who is interested.

Thanks, Niko, but I still can't make it work: when I run the program, Tarsos logo appears, but then it disappears after a while and nothing happens. I checked my Java installation and it seems to be OK. So I'm a bit confused.

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Are you running Mac OS X or Windows.

I am running Mac OS X (Snow Leopard with all the latest updates etc) including the Java Run Time and it works fine. I input a sound file just to test the basics according to what Dr. Bozkurt suggests in his tutorial and it worked fine. I will do the "real stuff" later this week when I get some free time.

I cannot vouch for Windows. Can you contact Haris S. and/or Evangelos S. and/or George M. and see what they encounter (they are running Windows)...

Have a blessed and healthy Tessarakosti!

N.

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
Are you running Mac OS X or Windows.

I am running Mac OS X (Snow Leopard with all the latest updates etc) including the Java Run Time and it works fine. I input a sound file just to test the basics according to what Dr. Bozkurt suggests in his tutorial and it worked fine. I will do the "real stuff" later this week when I get some free time.

I cannot vouch for Windows. Can you contact Haris S. and/or Evangelos S. and/or George M. and see what they encounter (they are running Windows)...

Have a blessed and healthy Tessarakosti!

N.

I am running Windows Vista. I have some other Java programs which run fine, but this particular one doesn't (or better to say it starts up, but then nothing happens and it seems it terminates automatically). Anyway, I'll wait for some other reactions and if they are all positive, then it seems it's a problem with my notebook.

Have a blessed Great Lent.

nikosthe

Νίκος Θεοτοκάτος
I run it through windows 7 ultimate and runs properly (online or offline) with java 6 update 23 version (update 24 is the last one). It does not run even online, through tarsos's website? Btw, you can view and manage your java installation by the java control panel, it's the file "javapl.exe", which is placed into the "bin" subfolder of java installation path (in my computer: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin)

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
I run it through windows 7 ultimate and runs properly (online or offline) with java 6 update 23 version (update 24 is the last one). It does not run even online, through tarsos's website? Btw, you can view and manage your java installation by the java control panel, it's the file "javapl.exe", which is placed into the "bin" subfolder of java installation path (in my computer: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin)

I simply reinstalled Jave (version 6 update 24), but it didn't help.

haris1963

παλαιότατο μέλος
Thanks, Niko, but I still can't make it work: when I run the program, Tarsos logo appears, but then it disappears after a while and nothing happens. I checked my Java installation and it seems to be OK. So I'm a bit confused.

It's running propertly to me Shota, see if you have in the same directory both files that Nikos have in the tarsos.zip. I run Windows Vista with Java v.6 update 23 (built 1.6.0_23-b05).

I follow Mr. Bozkurt's work and admired the "yin" project, but it seemed quite lengthy (and difficult) to me, in the Matlab enviroment. But Tarsos, is so easy and fun to use, has so many features and analysis resuls come immediately! Thank you Shota!

Last edited:

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Shota, looks like a great tool that will come in handy in many debated topics on Psaltologion. Once people have experience with it, it would be very useful for someone to review the various tools used for interval analysis, their strengths and weaknesses etc.