Sunday Kathismata

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
I have composed for the Sunday Kathismata in all eight modes. The attached file has scans of my rough drafts for all of them except for the ones that are prosomia and the ones I have already posted elsewhere (e.g., the apolytikion of Thomas Sunday is identical to one of the kathismata in grave mode).
Before I type them up and include them in my upcoming Orthros book, I would be very grateful if anyone has any suggestions how to improve them.
Thank you.

Attachments

• SundayKathismata.pdf
    658.1 KB · Views: 144

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
As usual, excellent work! I only noticed three spots which could be improved:

1. On page 3, you used the same melody for the phrase "Glory be to Thy sufferings, O Christ" on lines 7-8 as is used in the Anastasimatarion for «Δόξα τοις σοις παθήμασι Χριστέ». This is problematic because the English phrase has the pattern 10X0010001, while the Greek phrase appears to have the pattern 1001010001. The result is that a syllable with secondary stress in English ("be") is placed where an unstressed syllable belongs, while a syllable with no stress in English ("to") is placed where a stressed syllable belongs. I have outlined one valid solution and attached it to this post.
  2. On page 12, the melody you used for the phrase "O Almighty and Incomprehensible" on lines 5-6 appears to have the pattern 00101000100, while the English text has the pattern 00100X00100. This is problematic because a syllable with secondary stress in English ("In-") is placed where an unstressed syllable belongs, while a syllable with no stress in English ("and") is placed where a stressed syllable belongs. I have outlined one valid solution (based on the first 0100100 formula on page 472 and the first 010010 formula on page 468) and attached it to this post.
  3. On page 21, the melody you used for the phrase "and Angels glorified Him as the immortal God" appears to have the pattern 0100010000100, while the English text has the pattern 01010XX000100. This is problematic because a syllable with secondary stress in English ("fied") is placed where a stressed syllable belongs, while a syllable with primary stress in English ("glor-") is placed where an unstressed syllable belongs. I have outlined one valid solution (based on the first 10100 formula on page 765) and attached it to this post.

Everything else looks quite nice. I'm looking forward to the completion of your Orthros project!

Attachments

• 3.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 12.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 21.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 8

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
Thanks for catching those mistakes of mine, Basil. I like your suggestions. I appreciate your help.

monk martyrios

Νέο μέλος
I'm glad to see you are still making progress with this, and have not abandoned it entirely. I'm probably not the only one who regularly follows the Orthros links to see if there has been any additions..... Thank you for all the labor and care you have invested in it.

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Thanks for all your hard work, Papa Ephraim. This is incredibly helpful. Like Basil and Fr. Martyrios, I'm also looking forward to the completion of your Orthros book. For those of us at parishes which use HTM as the standard for translations, your books are an invaluable resource.

Do you have an estimated time as to when the Orthros book will be done?

Also, could you tell me where I could find the text from HTM for the Orthros Kathismata that are prosomia?

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
Do you have an estimated time as to when the Orthros book will be done?
Thank you for your interest. Finishing my Orthros book is my highest priority right after I take care of another matter which could keep me occupied for 3-4 months. So, God willing, around April I will start working on the remaining parts of Orthros, which shouldn't take more than 2-3 months to finish.

Also, could you tell me where I could find the text from HTM for the Orthros Kathismata that are prosomia?
I have already typed up all the Sunday Kathismata in Western notation, and I have attached them to this message. So you can get the texts from this attachment.

Attachments

• Sunday Kathismata - Western Notation.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 47

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Thank you for your interest. Finishing my Orthros book is my highest priority right after I take care of another matter which could keep me occupied for 3-4 months. So, God willing, around April I will start working on the remaining parts of Orthros, which shouldn't take more than 2-3 months to finish.

I have already typed up all the Sunday Kathismata in Western notation, and I have attached them to this message. So you can get the texts from this attachment.

Thank you, Papa Ephraim!

Do you happen to have a rough draft of your Hymns of Ascent in Byzantine notation as well, similar to the rough draft of the Kathismata in this post? I noticed that you already have them in Western notation on your website.

Ευλογείτε!

-Gabriel

tnkhoury

Νέο μέλος
I too, like many, am anxiously awaiting the completion of the orthros project. May God continue to bless your efforts Fr. Ephraim.