Sunday Evening Vespers, Third Week of Lent

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
I have composed music in English for the Vespers stichera for this Sunday evening. I have attached to this post my rough drafts in Byzantine notation.

Attachments

• Apolytikia.pdf
    62.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Aposticha.pdf
    93.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Kekragaria.pdf
    255.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
Nice work, Basil!

There are just a few minor things you might consider changing:

1. On page 3 of the Kekragaria, I'm not so sure it's alright in line 1 to jump up two like that for the word "wounds." To avoid that, you might consider:
Heal Zo
the Ke
wounds Zo, Nee
etc.

2. You forgot to write the oligon beneath the kentemata in the beginning of page 5 for the word "stretched."

3. Near the end of page 6 in the Kekragaria, I think it would be preferable to write:
dur- Ke
ing Di
instead of having both syllables on Di, since I think the word "during" has enough of an emphasis on it to warrant being emphasized melodically.

4. Later in the same troparion, I would prefer:
ab- Zo, Ke (one beat each)
sti- Di
nence Ga
rather than holding the "nence" for two beats, considering that it does not have the primary accent of the word.

5. Near the end of page 10, the melody for "Theophylact" melodically emphasizes its last syllable. If this is not what you intended to do, you could use the following melody instead:
The- Ga
o- Vou
phy- Pa
lact Pa (for two beats)

6. At the top of page 2 of the Aposticha, you might consider replacting the hard chromatic fthora with a soft chromatic fthora, since you already used two hard chromatic fthoras earlier.

7. The first note on page 2 of the Apolytikia should have an ison above the petaste instead of just a petaste by itself.

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
I have implemented each suggestion and updated my original post with the corrected versions.

If it's not too late, maybe it would be more helpful for people who visit this page later if you could leave your original versions as they were, and then include your corrected versions in a new post. This way they could see what I meant with my suggestions and also see the difference between the two versions.