St. Porphyrios of Kavsokalyvia - December 2nd

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Good evening to all,

I was recently asked by Fr. Seraphim Dedes to compose music for the feast day of St. Porphyrios of Kavsokalyvia, using his translation of the service found on the AGES Digital Chant Stand. I am thankful to God for the chance for the two of us to work together, in order to honor one of the greatest saints of our modern times. I was also grateful for the chance to work with someone who has worked so hard in the "vineyard" of liturgical translations and music in the English language.

The scores that I composed are as follows. I would be remiss in omitting to mention that several of the scores were inspired by the musical rhetoric found in several of the doxastika composed by Dr. Ioannis Arvanitis for some of the other recent saints of our days.

The Vespers Doxastikon

The Idiomelon of the Entreaty (Lity)

The Doxastikon of the Aposticha

The Idiomelon after the Orthros Gospel

The Doxastikon of the Praises

Βοήθειά μας ο Άγιος της εποχής μας, ο Όσιος Πορφύριος.

In Christ,
Gabriel

P.S. I disagree very strongly with the rendering of φιλέορτοι as "fans of feast days" in the Doxastikon of the Aposticha. The final word, of course, rests with Fr. Seraphim on that particular subject, but I disagree with it strongly and recommend changing it to "lovers of feast days" if one is so inclined.

Last edited:

GabrielCremeens

I have also composed a musical setting for the 6th Dogmatic Theotokion, in plagal second mode. It is highly based on the setting by Petros Ephesios in his Anastasimatarion. Ι welcome any comments on this piece as well.

-Gabriel

Attachments

• 6th Dogmatic Theotokion.pdf
    375.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Panagiotis G.

Μέλος
P.S. I disagree very strongly with the rendering of φιλέορτοι as "fans of feast days" in the Doxastikon of the Aposticha. The final word, of course, rests with Fr. Seraphim on that particular subject, but I disagree with it strongly and recommend changing it to "lovers of feast days" if one is so inclined.

I also disagree with this translation, very much. Fans is short for "fanatics" and doesn't even come close to rendering the very clear Greek meaning. Anyways, as you had mentioned, it wasn't your choice. How would you recommend changing the phrase musically for one who would change it to "lovers of feast days"?

GabrielCremeens

Thusly.

It was also pointed out to me by Nick Giannoukakis that φιλέορτοι can also be nicely (or perhaps more properly) translated as "friends of feast days." (This also has the advantage of not necessitating a change in the music.)

I'm also attaching a PDF with the Apolytikion of St. Porphyrios in Byzantine notation, which Fr. Seraphim did not have on his website.

-Gabriel

Attachments

• O lovers of feast days.jpg
    O lovers of feast days.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 15
  • Apolytikion of Saint Porphyrios.pdf
    230.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

ΗΛΙΑΝΗ

Νέο μέλος
Saint Porphyrios
Apolytikion
Mode one, the citizen of desert…
The offspring of Evvoia, adornment of Ecumene, the mystic of Theology and genuine friend of Christ, Porphyrios was filled with all the gifts of Grace, from childhood, so let us honor him, he delivers those who oppressed by demons, he cures the sick who shout with faith and gratitude. Glory to Him Who gave you His might, Glory to Him Who sanctified you, Glory to Him Who through you is working cures for all.