Sources to play byzantine notation

Is Melodos the only program to play byzantine notation?
Those unfamiliar with melodos, may see it functioning here
I have the demo version, but it's a bit clunky - so I am looking for alternatives.
The pricing isn't attractive either, specially for me who would have to buy it from a weaker currency into Euro. Is there something open source?

joel

Νέο μέλος
Well there is BZQ. See this thread. It is free but does not appear to be open source. It has a nice bonus feature of checking the score with some of Fr. Ephraim’s rules of orthography. The down side is that you either have to type the score in its unique notation, or import a file from MK or Pandouris. I have had mixed results importing MK files to BZQ. Have not tried Pandouris.

Pappous43

Παλαιό Μέλος
Well there is BZQ. See this thread. It is free but does not appear to be open source. It has a nice bonus feature of checking the score with some of Fr. Ephraim’s rules of orthography. The down side is that you either have to type the score in its unique notation, or import a file from MK or Pandouris. I have had mixed results importing MK files to BZQ. Have not tried Pandouris.
Thanks for mentioning BZQ.
Its notation is indeed unique BUT at the same time it is literally as mnemonic (thus easy-to-remember) as possible.
The notation is Parallagi-like. After all, one is expected to know the parallagi of a hymn.
Quick examples, pa is written as p. High pa as capital P. Bareia as \ of smilar shape. Petasti as U of similar shape, - as klasma and so on.
It is thus easy to learn BZQ notation and very useful even if you import from MK or Pandouris: There are cases when there is some problem in the imported/translated notation and you want to correct the BZQ code manually. In that case you need to know BZQ notation.

Relevant news:
In the latest version 22.10 already announced in this forum in greek (English is forthcoming), there is a new feature especially useful in new compositions:
In the info text file there is a new column called Average Difference.
It shows the difference between the entered score and the average byzantine style. More details are mentioned in the info text file (in English).
https://www.analogion.com/forum/index.php?threads/Σύγκρισις-νέας-μελοποιήσεως-μέ-τήν-παράδοσι.47776/

Last edited:

Pappous43

Παλαιό Μέλος
You are absolutely right about MK. It has some new neumes which are not (yet) included in BZQ. I am in the process of doing an appropriate update.
Pandouris is not developed further, at least for the time being.

Last edited:

kontaxis

Νέο μέλος
Neanes now plays scores. It's open source on Github.
I am legitimately on the verge of tears. I have been begging, praying for an app like this for Mac users with modern design -- not the dated, unusable Melodos. This is a life changing application. I hope the developer reads this and knows wholeheartedly how much this effort is appreciated in ways he may never have expected. Thank you, thank you, thank you...