Pitch determination

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
Here is an article on the method of pitch determination using a computer:

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~kperdue/MusicalDSP.html

The most interesting part for me is this paragraph:

Our goal is to find the frequencies of the constituent sinusoids of the musical tone, because this relates to how its pitch is perceived. For the FFT to be useful, we have to have the FFT operate on a long enough time (T) so that it can distinguish between an instrument's lower pitches. The frequency resolution is the inverse of T, due to the fact that in order to resolve a frequency accurately, enough time has to pass to complete one full cycle at that frequency. For example, if we choose a T of 0.03 seconds, we have a frequency resolution of only 1/0.03 or 33.3 Hz. That's about the difference between middle C and the D above it. This means if we were using this data, for that 0.03 seconds we couldn't reliably tell if a C4 or a C#4 or a D4 was being played. Lengthening T to 0.5 seconds gives us a frequency resolution of 1/0.5 or 2 Hz, which is less than 1/8 the distance from middle C to the C# above it. However, we've sacrificed time resolution to attain this accuracy. With this T, we can distinguish only two events per second, which is too slow for our pitch detection, as the shortest notes in jazz are about 0.094 seconds long.

I think this has to be taken into account when presenting results with Melodos, Audacity or any other software, or at least one has to think a bit more about it. Everything depends on the note length and absolute pitch of course, but maybe 7.5 or 7.75 moria, say, will make some difference?

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
That is a very interesting point, Shota. But isn't this limitation due to the Fast Fourier Transform? In other words, if some more time-consuming method were used instead of the FFT to determine frequencies, couldn't a computer calculate the precise frequency even of a single sine wave? But I suppose Melodos uses an FFT to determine frequencies.

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
That is a very interesting point, Shota. But isn't this limitation due to the Fast Fourier Transform? In other words, if some more time-consuming method were used instead of the FFT to determine frequencies, couldn't a computer calculate the precise frequency even of a single sine wave? But I suppose Melodos uses an FFT to determine frequencies.

Father, I'm certainly not an expert on this topic. My feeling however is that there is no "automatic" way of analysing intervals: one has to pre-tune the software first and then go through the output that it will give.

GeorgeStef

Νέο μέλος
I have used the Finale program to preset pitch intervals based on theoretical intervalic ratios. I then use a Korg Model AT-120 Auto Chromatic Tuner to check the pitches to within about 5 cents. This combination is not perfect but Intervals less than 5 cents are practically impossible to detect by the human ear anyway. But for me the real case for this procedure is that it is simple to use and requires no knowlwdge of any higher mathematics than knowing the interval ratios which can be found on the Analogion.net website

Any Thoughts?

Last edited:

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
..the Analogion.com website

Here you mean analogion.net? Some related work may be that of Kyriakos Tsiappoutas:

Measurement and analysis of Byzantine chant frequencies and frequency intervals (A)

J. Acoust. Soc. Am. Volume 116, Issue 4, pp. 2581-2581 (October 2004)

Issue Date: October 2004

[link]

GeorgeStef

Νέο μέλος
The abstract is intriguing, Have you seen the article by Dimitrios Delviniotis Entitled:

Acoustic analysis of musical intervals in modern
Byzantine Chant scales

JASA Express Letters Published Online 24 September 2008

In any case I am somewhat skeptical of the need for such detailed analyses.
However, it does make for an interesting project for university research in the field of sound and acoustics.

Last edited: