One only is Holy..

sr Paοsia

Νέο μέλος
Hi, where I come from we always chant "One only is holy, One only is Lord,
Jesus Christ....., is that so in Greece or is it just recited without any particular tone ?

thanks in advance

domesticus

Lupus non curat numerum ovium
Hi, where I come from we always chant "One only is holy, One only is Lord,
Jesus Christ....., is that so in Greece or is it just recited without any particular tone ?

thanks in advance

In many places is chanted following plagal first mode, but in other places is recited like Apostolos or Evangelion, under the kliton way. I prefer the second case, and straightaway the Communion hymn for as long as the priest needs. Personally, I keep chanting during the Communion, so I usually prefer long ancient communion hymns from late-byzantine and early post-byzantine era.

sr Paοsia

Νέο μέλος
Thank you Tim,
how lucky you Greeks are to have this all at your disposal, how on earth can I find such youtubes with my non existant Greek ?!

neoklis

Νεοκλής Λευκόπουλος, Γενικός Συντονιστής
Thank you Tim,
how lucky you Greeks are to have this all at your disposal, how on earth can I find such youtubes with my non existant Greek ?!

By posting your questions here.:)

Last edited:

domesticus

Also the Anaphora hymns (leitourgika) following kliton, by Fr. George Tsetsis with Axion Estin in second mode (the traditional).

The above is the most original way to chant the liturgy hymns. Of course some chanters and laymen consider the kliton as very ... bland.

Anyway, this is the right way, I say.

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Thank you Tim,

I am not Greek, nor did I grow up speaking it, nor do I have a particular "gift" for languages. I say that as an encouragement to anyone who desires to learn Greek (or any foreign language) and is willing to put in the time and effort. :)

Until then... just ask. There are many, many helpful people here on the forum who know where to find recordings.

In Christ,
Gabriel

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
Here is a chyma version intoned by Leonidas Asteris (starting at 00:50). But as mentioned by domesticus, this is not the only possibility.

domesticus

Here is a chyma version intoned by Leonidas Asteris (starting at 00:50). But as mentioned by domesticus, this is not the only possibility.

Nice!

It's what I really had in my mind.

Well done Shota! Long time no see you around Psaltologion ...

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
My next question is what does a kliton sound like, could you tell me where I can hear it ?

Many thanks

If you want to hear this in English, Cappella Romana puts out a CD called Divine Liturgy in English. It's available on iTunes, if you want to take the easy route.

JPP