Need help maximizing limited space...

RichardRBarrett

Μέλος
Hi,

I am in a "temporary" building (let's all chuckle about the square quotes for a moment) and, for a number of reasons, what practical considerations there are dictate that the choir be in a more-or-less traditional spot (northeast corner of the nave), but that more-or-less traditional spot is about as disadvantageous as it could be in our space. Here is a photograph of our little piece of heaven:

3197132792_37a8bd21ee_z.jpg

Obviously, there are structural and acoustic issues that only a new building will fix, and "we're working on that" (again, let's all have a little laugh about this for a second). We are blocked in on three sides: the solea, the plane of the deacon's door, and the north wall. I haven't measured it, but I would guess that we have about 5'x8'. We have also, due to space considerations, had to start using the northernmost end of the first step of the solea as a bookshelf. It looks tacky and disorganized and like we're there as an afterthought, and all of those things are, unfortunately, true.

Talking to my priest today, he said, "You know what, let's figure out what we need to do so that this isn't the case anymore. You figure out what we need and come up with some numbers."

So, my questions are these --

1) Given the space limitations, short of a wrecking ball, what might people here suggest we do? It seems to me that a 4-sided analogion with a cabinet body would certainly solve a number of problems, but are there any other suggestions?

2) Much as I'd love to fly over to Athens and pick out a handcarved analogion from one of the shops near the cathedral, and also while acknowledging that the most cost-effective solution is to do it right the first time, is there a source for any of these suggestions that doesn't involve pledging one's first half-dozen children? And/or are there schematics anyplace that could be used to build these things ourselves? I've seen a schematic for a two-sided analogion, but I'm reasonably certain we'd do better with a 4.

Any suggestions or help anybody might be able to offer would be most appreciated. Ευχαριστώ παρά πολύ!

Richard

Kavouras

Νέο μέλος
These guys are in Calgary. I don't know how far that is from you, but they have all sorts of stuff if you don't want to get them overseas.

It's pretty pricy for my taste, I'd rather build it myself, but you can buy them and keep them for your new building. Maybe they can help you find one used cheaper.

http://www.istok.net/lecterns/

Hope it helps.

-Dimitri K.

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
Hi,

I am in a "temporary" building (let's all chuckle about the square quotes for a moment) and, for a number of reasons, what practical considerations there are dictate that the choir be in a more-or-less traditional spot (northeast corner of the nave), but that more-or-less traditional spot is about as disadvantageous as it could be in our space. Here is a photograph of our little piece of heaven:

3197132792_37a8bd21ee_z.jpg

Obviously, there are structural and acoustic issues that only a new building will fix, and "we're working on that" (again, let's all have a little laugh about this for a second). We are blocked in on three sides: the solea, the plane of the deacon's door, and the north wall. I haven't measured it, but I would guess that we have about 5'x8'. We have also, due to space considerations, had to start using the northernmost end of the first step of the solea as a bookshelf. It looks tacky and disorganized and like we're there as an afterthought, and all of those things are, unfortunately, true.

Talking to my priest today, he said, "You know what, let's figure out what we need to do so that this isn't the case anymore. You figure out what we need and come up with some numbers."

So, my questions are these --

1) Given the space limitations, short of a wrecking ball, what might people here suggest we do? It seems to me that a 4-sided analogion with a cabinet body would certainly solve a number of problems, but are there any other suggestions?

2) Much as I'd love to fly over to Athens and pick out a handcarved analogion from one of the shops near the cathedral, and also while acknowledging that the most cost-effective solution is to do it right the first time, is there a source for any of these suggestions that doesn't involve pledging one's first half-dozen children? And/or are there schematics anyplace that could be used to build these things ourselves? I've seen a schematic for a two-sided analogion, but I'm reasonably certain we'd do better with a 4.

Any suggestions or help anybody might be able to offer would be most appreciated. Ευχαριστώ παρά πολύ!

Richard

Richard, please send me your e-mail address and I will follow up with you --I have designs for a simple 2 sided lecturn with shelf space that works very well.

JPP
protopsalti@orthodoxmetropolisportland.org

RichardRBarrett

Μέλος
Hi John,

Yes, you've sent those to me before! When you sent them to me (2-3 years ago, I think) there was somebody in the parish who was willing to build one. Right now there's nobody who is willing/able. As it works out, a church in Staten Island is getting rid of their old psaltiri and stasidia (as well as their bishop's throne!) for basically nothing. We're still figuring out how to get them from point a to point b, but we've already told them we're interested and are just now figuring out logistics. We've also just put down a 9'x9' parquet dance floor in our corner, and that seems to help a) delineate the space b) provide *something* of a reflective surface. Once we have the psaltiri and stalls in place we'll revisit where we're at.

Thanks very much for the help!