Music for the Royal Hours of Christmas

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Good morning, everyone,

I hope this Nativity Fast finds you all well. In this topic, I want to compile a list of all available music in Byzantine notation for the Royal Hours of Christmas. Hopefully one of these days we will have a complete set. :)

First of all, there is the work done by brother Anthony from St. Tikhon's Monastery.

Doxastikon - 1st Hour
Doxastikon - 3rd Hour
Doxastikon - 6th Hour

Second, attached to this message is a score for the first two idiomela of the First Hour, composed by my friend and fellow student John Michael Boyer.

Finally, I have been working over the past few days on some drafts of the remaining idiomela - in other words, whatever has not been composed by Brother Anthony and John M. Boyer. I am attaching to this post some drafts for the idiomela of the Third Hour. I would appreciate any comments/corrections.

I have the idiomela for the 6th Hour completed - I just need to write them out nicely and scan them. God willing, I will write the idiomela for the 9th Hour sometime today and have them posted before tomorrow. (I assume most people are celebrating the Royal Hours tomorrow morning?)

EDIT #1: I have attached music for the idiomela (except for the doxastikon) for the 6th Hour.

Edit #2: I have attached music for the idiomela (except for the doxastikon) for the 9th Hour.

Edit #3: I have done an adaptation of the First Hour Doxastikon, based on the work of Anthony, but with some account taken for the settings of Petros the Peloponnesian (particularly the ending) as well as Konstandinos Pringos.

Edit #4: I have written an adaptation of the 9th Hour Doxastikon - a combination of new and old sticheraric theseis - by Stephanos Lambadarios. Corrections are appreciated! There are most likely several typos.

Καλή δύναμη,
Gabriel

Attachments

• Royal Hours of Christmas English - edit.pdf
    110.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 3rd Hour Idiomela - Cremeens.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
  • 6th Hour Idiomela - Cremeens.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
  • 9th Hour Idiomela - Cremeens.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
  • 1st Hour Doxastikon.pdf
    909.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 9th Hour Doxastikon.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:

GabrielCremeens

A little late, but it'll be around next year. Here is a setting of the Doxastikon of the 3rd Hour, based on the work done by Anthony.

Attachments

• 3rd Hour Doxastikon - Cremeens.pdf
    618.5 KB · Views: 55

GabrielCremeens

Good evening!

Attached to this post are settings for the three idiomela that I did not compose last year - namely, the first and third idiomela of the first hour, and the doxastikon of the sixth hour. With God's help, I believe that this completes the set of music for the Royal Hours of Christmas. I hope that the scores prove helpful.

Merry Christmas to all - Christ is born!

In Christ,
Gabriel

Attachments

• 1st Hour Idiomelon 1 - Cremeens.pdf
    974 KB · Views: 44
  • 1st Hour Idiomelon 2 - Cremeens.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 6th Hour Doxastikon - Cremeens.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 37

herron.samuel

Ieropsaltis
Excellent work, Gabriel! Going through it, I did find the timing of the first Doxastikon in the very opening phrase to be off. The downbeat, as written, falls on the note before the word "Joseph" begins. Seems an easy fix, but I just wanted to point it out.

GabrielCremeens

Excellent work, Gabriel! Going through it, I did find the timing of the first Doxastikon in the very opening phrase to be off. The downbeat, as written, falls on the note before the word "Joseph" begins. Seems an easy fix, but I just wanted to point it out.

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure I understand your comment, though - "Thus" has two beats, "saith" has two beats, and then "Jo-(seph)" falls on the next downbeat (at least that's how it seems to me). Maybe I'm missing something?

-Gabriel

herron.samuel

Ieropsaltis
Hi Sam,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure I understand your comment, though - "Thus" has two beats, "saith" has two beats, and then "Jo-(seph)" falls on the next downbeat (at least that's how it seems to me). Maybe I'm missing something?

-Gabriel

I'm sorry, "-seph" on "Joseph" is off. Counting it out, you'd need a gorgon on the second of the three apostrofos to balance it, unless I'm miscounting?. I've circled the section I'm referring to in the attached picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 30

Reader Nick

Νέο μέλος
I also have a bunch of compositions that I've composed:
1st hour - Idiomelon #1
1st Hour Glory
3rd Hour Idiomelon #1
3rd Hour Glory
6th Hour Glory

I guess this will add even more variety to the list.
The 1st Hour Glory is adapted from Vatopaidi (from their CD)...so it is quite long, and probably not too usable in a parish context (that one might also have some incorrect phrases, since it is of the slower variety, and it was composed many years ago).