Music for the Beheading of St. john the Baptist August 29

catalintu

Νέο μέλος
Greetings!

Anybody knows of any music scores in English with Byzantine notation for the Beheading of St. John the Baptist August 29?

Fr. Seraphim has at least the Orthros music in Western notation but seems like there is no Vespers music out there. Especially interested in the doxastika for Vespers and Orthros.

Thank you!

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
To my knowledge, there are no English scores. It's a rather formidable task, as there are no prosomia - all of the music for the Vespers are idiomela.

My apology for not responding sooner. Hopefully these settings are of some help. Maybe others can suggest corrections, etc. for next year.

In Christ,
Rdr. Michael

Attachments

• 08-29 Lord I Cry T6 vs 1-4 Idiomela.pdf
    109.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 08-29 Aposticha Doxasticon T8.pdf
    41.7 KB · Views: 34

GabrielCremeens

My apology for not responding sooner. Hopefully these settings are of some help. Maybe others can suggest corrections, etc. for next year.

In Christ,
Rdr. Michael

Attached is my own contribution; I hope to post the Aposticha Idiomela in a little while (I'm finishing them now).

I've included two settings for the first idiomelon - one as a simple sticheron idiomelon, and the other with some longer theseis as a doxastikon "proper". I wrote the doxastikon setting afterward, and, in light of that setting, I would probably have actually chosen the "alternate" lines in the first one setting to be used in the short version, and the ones that are actually written in the main body text of the first idiomelon for the doxastikon (which I did).

Michael, I like some of your lines... for instance, "for the head of the Forerunner" in the first idiomelon. In general, I do my own work first, to "put the effort in", so to speak, but I do like to look at yours for comparison, as you often come up with a line that I hadn't thought of. I also like the "O Lord, by the intercessions" in the final idiomelon; I had some trouble with that line and I like your solution better. My only suggestion would be a way to augment the end a little bit, to draw out "intercessions" only slightly more.

In Christ,
Gabriel

EDIT: I have added the Idiomela at the Aposticha. Many years to everyone... may Saint John pray for us.

Attachments

• Beheading of Saint John - Vespers Idiomela.pdf
    16 MB · Views: 39
  • Beheading of Saint John - Aposticha Doxastikon.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 18
  • Beheading of Saint John - Aposticha Idiomela.pdf
    7.2 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Gabriel,

Thank you for your work and comments.

In singing the Lord I have cried Doxasticon last Saturday evening, I had some trouble with the phrase that ended on Gah ("condition"). I had never seen a Fthores like this for Plagal 2nd that ended on Gah. I was having trouble understanding how it worked. Please forgive the question, but if in Western notation on the key of D, would the Gah be F#?

Thanks.

Rdr. Michael

GabrielCremeens

Gabriel,

Thank you for your work and comments.

In singing the Lord I have cried Doxasticon last Saturday evening, I had some trouble with the phrase that ended on Gah ("condition"). I had never seen a Fthores like this for Plagal 2nd that ended on Gah. I was having trouble understanding how it worked. Please forgive the question, but if in Western notation on the key of D, would the Gah be F#?

Thanks.

Rdr. Michael

Hello Michael,

The phrase I used for "condition" is pulled from the 10th Eothinon Doxastikon, where it is used on the word πλήθος (multitude), if my memory serves me correctly.

Υοu can hear a recording here:
https://youtu.be/xPZEQ-NjcGw?t=245 (It should play from the point "πλήθος".)

And here as well:
https://youtu.be/XVnphRtKF6Q?t=166

Yes, the equivalent of that Ga would (basically) be an F-sharp.

In Christ,
Gabriel