Manuscript request

jsalazar0884

Hello, I'm new here. I'm working on a research paper involving Byzantine Orthodox Chants where one of the audio samples I'm writing about is a kathisma titled "Come, Faithful, Let us see where Christ was born", recorded by Simon Karas in an album from 1972 titled "Byzantine Hymns of Christmas". I've found that the chant in use for this recording is also known as the seasonal version of "Joseph was Amazed". As an ignorant American, I'm having a hard time navigating pdf image files that are written in Greek (possibly in an older form/version of the language that google can't translate). I was wondering if anyone here might be able to link me directly to a manuscript for the music?

Thank you!

-Jay

joel

Νέο μέλος
The hymn “Come faithful let us see” is a prosomoion of “Joseph was amazed” (which is an automelon). You can think of prosomoia as hymns that are sung to the tune of some well-known hymn. And automela are these well-known hymns. You can find a score for “Joseph was amazed” / «Κατεπλάγη Ιωσήφ» in an irmologion in the kathismata section - mode 4. For example, page 165 in the second part (ειρμολόγιον σύντομον) of the Ειρμολόγιον Πέτρου Πελοποννησίου & Πέτρου Βυζαντίου

jsalazar0884

The hymn “Come faithful let us see” is a prosomoion of “Joseph was amazed” (which is an automelon). You can think of prosomoia as hymns that are sung to the tune of some well-known hymn. And automela are these well-known hymns. You can find a score for “Joseph was amazed” / «Κατεπλάγη Ιωσήφ» in an irmologion in the kathismata section - mode 4. For example, page 165 in the second part (ειρμολόγιον σύντομον) of the Ειρμολόγιον Πέτρου Πελοποννησίου & Πέτρου Βυζαντίου
Joel,

I found it! Thank you so much for the link, and just as importantly, thank you for the clarification with the terminology, it's a lot easier to search for this hymn now.

Thanks you!

-Jay