Looking for music

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Ευλογείτε!

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a piece of music that I have been unable to locate. Some of you may have heard the Paraklesis (either Small or Great) to the Theotokos, either from Simonopetra or Ormylia Monasteries. On these CDs, the last Megalynarion after Αξιον Εστιν is a long version of Πασαι των Αγγελων αι στρατιαι. Does anyone know where I can find music for this?

You can find a sound clip at 7:50 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F9-cc_lOVw

Thanks and blessed Lent to everyone!

In Christ,
Tim

GabrielCremeens

a long version of Πάσαι των Αγγέλων or Άλαλα τα χείλη ; i think it s the same .

I've heard of a long version of Άλαλα τα χείλη, but never actually heard it chanted or seen music. So I don't know if they're the same or not.

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
All of the Megalynaria of the Paraklesis (as well as the newer Meglynaria for various saints) are modeled after the metric structure of «Την Τιμιωτέραν». The music for «Την Τιμιωτέραν» in the eight modes in the short melismatic (slow) exegesis by Gregorios Protopsaltis can be found in the 1850 edition of Mousike Pandekte, published by Ioannis Lambadarios and Stephanos Domestikos (as domesticus pointed out above). Gregorios' transcription into the New Method is perhaps sparse by modern standards. A fuller (yet still classical) transcription can be found in the music for the Paraklesis by Konstantinos (pp. 502-503). Konstantinos' transcription corresponds more or less to the oral tradition of the Ecumenical Patriarchate during the time of Iakovos Nafpliotis, as evidenced by this analytic transcription.

By the way, I have composed music in English in the slow heirmologic genre for all six Megalynaria of the Paraklesis as part of my yet-to-be-released collection of music for the Small and Great Paraklesis services. My music for these Megalynaria is based on recordings of Patriarchal chanters and is, of course, notated using classical orthography. I have attached my rough drafts of these Megalynaria to this post.

Attachments

• Paraklesis Megalynaria - Slow.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 58

GabrielCremeens

Thanks Basil, the English settings are really helpful. Under which circumstances are all the Megalynaria done using the slow heirmologic setting? I've only heard them chanted in a fast heirmologic manner, with the exception of the last one.

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
Thanks Basil, the English settings are really helpful. Under which circumstances are all the Megalynaria done using the slow heirmologic setting? I've only heard them chanted in a fast heirmologic manner, with the exception of the last one.

My understanding is that only «Άλαλα τα χείλη» is chanted in the slow heirmologic genre in Patriarchal practice. I composed slow heirmologic settings of the remaining Megalynaria only for use in concerts or recordings.

domesticus

Lupus non curat numerum ovium
My understanding is that only «Άλαλα τα χείλη» is chanted in the slow heirmologic genre in Patriarchal practice. I composed slow heirmologic settings of the remaining Megalynaria only for use in concerts or recordings.

Konstantinos' editor, Stephanos, adds a footnote on page 502, saying that at the specific moment the Patriarch ceremoniously ασπάζεται (pays homage?) to the icon of Theotokos (sorry for my bad english). The ceremony takes some time so a slower composition is needed.

Attachments

• konstantinos p 502.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
Konstantinos' editor, Stephanos, adds a footnote on page 502, saying that at the specific moment the Patriarch ceremoniously ασπάζεται (pays homage?) to the icon of Theotokos (sorry for my bad english). The ceremony takes some time so a slower composition is needed.

Thank you for translating that rubric for us. This is yet another example of how form follows function!