K. A. Psachos Digital Music Library

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
Older blog article by Fr Konstantinos Terzopoulos. From there I quote:

Except for the important Protopsaltes Konstantinos Byzantios Semeiomatarion and unpublished third edition Typikon, the manuscripts of Byzantine Chant house in the collection range from the ninth to nineteenth centuries. Of special interest for anyone interested in the exegesis of the chants from the old to New Method of chant notation is the Gregorios Protopsaltes Archive, containing manuscripts from the fourteenth to nineteenth centuries. There are 203 objects in that archive alone.

and

The big let-down, however, is not just that there are thumbnails for only the first few folios (anywhere from 4-10 from what I can tell), but once you get past the second folio and you try to get a magnified view of the folio, you see the message, “Access to the resource adheres to copyright restrictions.” Each image also has a sprawling watermark, copyright image on it. OK, please tell me, what that means. Whose copyright? Gregorios protopsaltes’? Here we are again with the burning question of copyright of works of authors who have died well over 100 years ago. Or, is it the digital photograph that is copyright? More questions would include, digitization is indeed necessary for conservation purposes, but why would a university ignore the scholarly implications?