It is the Day of Resurrection

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Christ is risen!

Just wanted to throw this out there, in the hopes that maybe there's music floating around that I haven't heard about. Has anyone composed music in English for the Matins hymn "It is the Day of Resurrection"? It comes up very often over the next few weeks, and I'm going to have to chant it multiple times at my church, so I'm looking for a score to work with.

Thanks!

P.S. An arrangement using the HTM translation would be ideal. I'd use the one by Fr. Seraphim Dedes, but the default version at our church (at least during Orthros) is music using the HTM translation. Just to keep things consistent and whatnot.

P.P.S. Apologies... I wasn't clear enough. When I said "It is the Day of Resurrection," I was referring to the "Both now and ever" of the Praises of the weeks following Pascha, i.e. the Paschal Doxastikon.

Last edited:

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
Has anyone composed music in English for the Matins hymn "It is the Day of Resurrection"?

I have. My setting is based on the Arabic melody commonly used in Lebanon today, which I have (after some casual inquiry) generously attributed to Andraos Muaiqel (1890-1964). My setting is available in both Byzantine notation and Western notation. This setting is one of my first compositions and does not represent my best work. Even still, this composition adheres to the formulaic rules to a high degree (higher than the Arabic original, in fact, as well as many other English settings of this hymn) and remains one of my most popular compositions to date.

P.S. You can also listen to a recording of this piece chanted in Arabic by Rassem el-Massih.

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
I have. My setting is based on the Arabic melody commonly used in Lebanon today, which I have (after some casual inquiry) generously attributed to Andraos Muaiqel (1890-1964). My setting is available in both Byzantine notation and Western notation. This setting is one of my first compositions and does not represent my best work. Even still, this composition adheres to the formulaic rules to a high degree (higher than the Arabic original, in fact, as well as many other English settings of this hymn) and remains one of my most popular compositions to date.

P.S. You can also listen to a recording of this piece chanted in Arabic by Rassem el-Massih.

Thank you, Basil. This is great.

Do you know who this chanter who, using your composition in this very nice recording in English? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ugec9VIazU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Βασίλης Κιαμηλίδης

Βασίλης Κιαμηλίδης

Here the message of Mr. George Konstantinos Michalakis, who is in France

To TimGabe1992 from GKM
Dear friend,

I have already adapted the entire Canon and Stichera including the Glorificat "It is the day of Ressurection" according to the HTM translation (the BEST one can find), in both PSALTIC and OCCIDENTAL (GKM special) notation

I do not have the originals with me here in France.

However, the HTM HAS a copy, which I sent them during 1997.

You can write and ask them for a copy, and perhaps contribute to their effort with a twenty dollar bill.

You then have my authorisation to scan and POST these adaptations.

And, as I conclude in all services: ALITHOS ANESTI O KYRIOS