Isokratis

ByzantineVoice

Νέο μέλος
Hello,

I noticed that some byzantine chanters use a piano-like device or its digital equivalent for the ison. Upon searching, I found it is called isokratis (right?). Do you recommend any digital (preferably in English and free) version of this? I have Byzantine Ison on my mobile, but the ison in it is not as deep and powerful.

Another but related question: are such devices/apps allowed in the Church from a theological point of view?

Thanks in davnce

anyuta

Νέο μέλος
Some chanters do use ison machines in church. Personally I am not a fan. I would rather have no ison than use a recording in church. You will find people on both sides of that argument. I don't believe there's any official stance as to whether or not they are allowed from a theological point of view. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong!) I do think that the ison machines/apps are helpful for practicing, though.

ByzantineVoice

Νέο μέλος
Some chanters do use ison machines in church. Personally I am not a fan. I would rather have no ison than use a recording in church. You will find people on both sides of that argument. I don't believe there's any official stance as to whether or not they are allowed from a theological point of view. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong!) I do think that the ison machines/apps are helpful for practicing, though.

The Ison makes chanting more beautiful in the spiritual sense, and maybe some chanters don't have others who give the Ison, or they are not good enough to follow. But, I agree that they are helpful for practicing. Do you have any recommendation for any application? Thanks

domesticus

Lupus non curat numerum ovium
Hello,

I noticed that some byzantine chanters use a piano-like device or its digital equivalent for the ison. Upon searching, I found it is called isokratis (right?). Do you recommend any digital (preferably in English and free) version of this? I have Byzantine Ison on my mobile, but the ison in it is not as deep and powerful.

Another but related question: are such devices/apps allowed in the Church from a theological point of view?

Thanks in davnce
Unfortunately, many chanters in Greece, following their personal opinion about perfecting at all costs their chanting, use various apps.

Officially, there is a condemnation from the Church of Greece, dated back to May 11th, 1992. Fr Maximos Matthaios posted it here
Ἡ Ἱερά Σύνοδος τῆς Ἐκκλησίας τῆς Ἑλλάδος σέ Ἐγκύκλιον Σημείωμα (ὑπ᾿ ἀριθμ. 1630/726/11 Μαΐου 1992) Πρός τήν Ἱεράν Ἀρχιεπισκοπήν Ἀθηνῶν καί τάς Ἱεράς Μητροπόλεις τῆς Ἐκκλησίας τῆς Ἑλλάδος «...καταδικάζει τήν ἐν τοῖς Ἱεροῖς Ναοῖς καινοφανῆ χρῆσιν "μηχανικοῦ ἱσοκράτου" ὡς μή συνάδουσαν πρός τε τήν ζῶσαν λατρείαν τοῦ Θεοῦ καί τήν ἔκπαλαι καθεστηκυΐαν ἐκκλησιαστικήν παράδοσιν καί τάξιν καί ὡς ὀλισθηράν ἀπαρχήν εἰσαγωγῆς ὀργάνων ἐν ταῖς ἱεραῖς τῆς Ἐκκλησίας ἀκολουθίαις.-»
The Holy Synod condemns the use of machine isokratis as not in accordance with either the worship of God and the standing tradition of Church, introducing also the use of musical instruments in the services of the Church.

The translation is mine and of course incomplete. But the general idea is clear I think.

ByzantineVoice

Νέο μέλος
Unfortunately, many chanters in Greece, following their personal opinion about perfecting at all costs their chanting, use various apps.

Officially, there is a condemnation from the Church of Greece, dated back to May 11th, 1992. Fr Maximos Matthaios posted it here

The Holy Synod condemns the use of machine isokratis as not in accordance with either the worship of God and the standing tradition of Church, introducing also the use of musical instruments in the services of the Church.

The translation is mine and of course incomplete. But the general idea is clear I think.

Thanks for the translation. But the question is: since there is a condemnation of using isokratis piano in the church, why do chanters continue to use them?

ByzantineVoice

Νέο μέλος
because they are ego-maniacs ~

I watched chanters using these apps in the presence of bishops. Do you mean they don't obey their bishops, or the bishops don't obey the synod? I think using them is as using musical instruments in the Church, which are not allowed. But after I saw some chanters using it, I was confused of what to think.