Is this correct

Polemikos29

Νέο μέλος
Thanks for considering my question! I just wondering if my interpretation is correct. I feel like I'm way off!

Number 1 in the picture is a general flat. Zo is flattened until the next fthora.

Number 2 is the fthora for Ga in the diatonic scale. Pitch of Ni' but parallagi at diatonic Ga. My CD that can't along with this book continues the parallagi at Ni, but I don't know why.

Number 3 is fthora for Ke diatonic scale. Parallagi at ke on diatonic scale.

Number 4 fthora zo. Parallagi enharmonic scale from zo.

Number 6 fthora Pa diatonic. Parallagi at pitch ke but parallagi at Pa

Finally 7, fthora ke diatonic. Parallagi from there.

A sincerely appreciate everyone's help!

Attachments

• 20201018_184138.jpg
    20201018_184138.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43

zoslen

Βύρων Αναγνωστόπουλος
Yes, everything you say is correct. In cases 2 and 6 we have what is called "trochos", or "5 chord system", a very usual condition in byzantine music. Do you know what it is?

The reason why in the cd does not change the parallagi is very simple: the important thing is to say correctly the scale, no matter what note you have. In this cases (2,6) the point of fthoras is to indicate a natural Zo at all times (without fthora Zo should be flat at some cases). So in the cd he does not change the note's name, but for sure he changes the scale.

Now listen to something very important that might confuse you:
The scale would have changed even if the writter wouldn' t have put fthoras in these points! The reason is that the scale is decided by the musical phrase, no matter what...

I would advise you not to be so attached to the musicsore because many times things and fthoras are missing, unfortunately byzantine scores don't work with the same way and accuracy as in european music.

mmamais

Μαμάης Μιχάλης
Number 2 could have a fthora of Ni, as in Zoi version (an older and historic version) of this Anastasimatarion so, here it can be a typo. After all, the CD (as polemikos says) says "Ni" at parallagi.

zoslen

Βύρων Αναγνωστόπουλος
If in 2 you put fthora of Ni, then the fthora in 3 is useless, so second typo in a row? I think no typo here, just indicating trochos. Moreover we don't know what intervals makes in the cd. I would bet that in the cd the chanter just overlooked this and said Ni without thinking too much.

Polemikos29

Νέο μέλος
In cases 2 and 6 we have what is called "trochos", or "5 chord system", a very usual condition in byzantine music. Do you know what it is?

Thanks for your helpful response! I think a trochos is when you have a repeating scale with no διαζευκτικός τόνος. I guess I'm confused because I didn't think the diatonic scale worked liked that.

Polemikos29

Νέο μέλος
Btw... Here are the two audio files that came with the CD

Attachments

• 10_γ΄ Κύριε εκέκραξα μελ.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 09_γ΄ Κύριε εκέκραξα παρ.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

zoslen

Βύρων Αναγνωστόπουλος
Well, in trochos you have 5 notes that repeat themselves, not 7 as in european scale. It is very usall in all scales, diatonic and chromatic.
Pa, Bou, Ga, Di, Ke, (Zo),(Ni),(Pa)
Pa, Bou, Ga, Di, Ke

so yes, they are συννημενα 5-chords.

In the audio he does kind of this thing. But it is obvious that he is not well prepared. At some points he hesitates because he is not sure what note to say.