Hymns for Vespers of the Publican and Pharisee

Reader Nick

Νέο μέλος
I composed the hymns for Vespers of the Publican and Pharisee (some of the hymns are also used for the Praises of Orthros). Any comments are welcome. Sorry I didn't get this out earlier.

The translation is that of the Holy Myrrhbearers Convent, which is free online (that was the translation that I had on hand).

Some inspiration was taken from the Stanitsa Triodion...just kind of the general arc of the phrases.

-Nick

Attachments

• Vesp_PubNPhar.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 63

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
Great work! It all turned out quite nicely. The only part that I think could be smoother is the melody on page 2 for "through boasting lost his." Maybe a 1001 formula from page 51 or 52 from my compilation of formulae for first mode would sound better for the phrase "lost his reward." Using a 1001 formula would give "lost" more of a melodic emphasis than "his."

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Hi Nick,

This is nice; it's good to have some Triodion hymns in Byzantine notation. I'm definitely looking forward to HTM finishing their other liturgical books, but this is also nice.

I'm asking this more for my own benefit than for anything else, because I don't know about composition or anything like that. But it felt a little awkward (to me, anyway) after the martyria on the second line of the first page ("he who exalts himself") to very quickly go Πα-Βου-Γα-Νη'. (And with a gorgon on Pa, to boot.)

I'll be the first to admit that I have zero experience as far as chanting goes - but is it more normal to sort of "gradually" approach Ga (or center around Ga for a few notes/beats), and then have the jump to high Ni, instead of a quick run of just two notes (one of them with a gorgon) straight up to Ga, before making the jump to high Ni? For instance, in Kyrie Ekekraxa in Protos, or in the Vespers Stichera of the Resurrection, etc, etc, etc.

Just asking so I can learn! :)

~Gabriel