Hymns for March 25th - Annunciation

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Good evening, all,

Attached is a (hopefully) final version of the Vespers Doxastikon of the Feast of the Annunciation, to be chanted at tomorrow's Vespers. Would anyone be willing to do a quick proof-read, before I post it on my website?

I have also composed music for the Aposticha Doxastikon of Vespers, as well as the Praises Doxastikon. God willing, I hope to post the former tomorrow afternoon, and the latter (as well as the Orthros Idiomelon, if I have the time to compose it) tomorrow evening. Ο Θεός βοηθός! :)

-Gabriel

Attachments

• March 25th - The Annunciation of our Most Holy Lady the Theotokos and Ever.pdf
    568.1 KB · Views: 61

Emmanouil Giannopoulos

Emmanouil Giannopoulos
Excellent dear Gabriel.
I think it is better to have two beats in the syllable "nounce" in the third line.
Remove please an apostrophe in the third page-second line, before the word "with".

GabrielCremeens

Here is the aposticha doxastikon, if anyone wants to take a look to proofread it.

I have also attached a correct version of the Vespers doxastikon. Dr. Giannopoulos, thank you for your correction of the extra apostrophos. Can you perhaps recommend a different thesis for the line "to announce to the Virgin"? To the best of my knowledge, in the thesis that I have chosen, that petaste on high Ni only gets one beat, and, personally, I think that the trisimos rhythm, as well as the quick change to the diatonic scale, give a lot of emphasis and even a little surprise to this word "announce." However, I would definitely be interested in an alternate melody.

-Gabriel

Attachments

• March 25th - Aposticha Doxastikon.pdf
    506.8 KB · Views: 36
  • March 25th - Vespers Doxastikon.pdf
    780.5 KB · Views: 22

GabrielCremeens

And here is the Praises Doxastikon, if anyone has a minute to do paralagi and check it before I post it on my website. :)

-Gabriel

Attachments

• March 25th - Praises Doxastikon.pdf
    393.3 KB · Views: 19

GabrielCremeens

Last one for this year - the Idiomelon for tomorrow's Orthros.

The final versions of everything (of course, until people find any other mistakes I made!) can be found here: http://www.englishmenaion.com/menaion/march/

Χρόνια πολλά, και η Παναγία να είναι πάντα μαζί μας!

-Gabriel

Attachments

• March 25th - Entreaty Doxastikon and Orthros Idiomelon.pdf
    260.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Thank you for your efforts again, Gabe.

We chanted your score for Doxastikon of the Aposticha last night at the Annunciation Cathedral in San Francisco, with His Grace Bishop Joseph of Patara (assistant to Tarasios of Buenos Aires) in attendance.

While the Cathedral tends to do the majority of its services in Greek, some of the people were very grateful for our usage of English.

R.

herron.samuel

Ieropsaltis
And here is the Praises Doxastikon, if anyone has a minute to do paralagi and check it before I post it on my website. :)

-Gabriel

I did find one error of paralegi in your alternate musical phrasing for "The Holy Spirit is sent down" of the Aposticha Doxastikon. It says it ends on Zw, but the written music only ends on Nh, which is obviously not what you intended for it sounds off that way. Just a catch I found last night while chanting it. Sorry for not catching it yesterday, I forgot to go over the alternate phrase.

GabrielCremeens

I did find one error of paralegi in your alternate musical phrasing for "The Holy Spirit is sent down" of the Aposticha Doxastikon. It says it ends on Zw, but the written music only ends on Nh, which is obviously not what you intended for it sounds off that way. Just a catch I found last night while chanting it. Sorry for not catching it yesterday, I forgot to go over the alternate phrase.

Thank you - I think I have it fixed in the final version I put up on my website.

-Gabriel