Holy Week and Pascha Music

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Hello all,

This may be a little bit premature, but I'm trying to get in some practice before the event itself. Does anyone have any Holy Week/Pascha music that has been composed the past year that perhaps they haven't had time to upload? Anything would be appreciated. I'm really looking for the Paschal Canon, the Praises in First Mode, and the other Stichera in Plagal First. I have a setting of the Doxastikon, though.

I realize that there probably won't be a little out there, since HTM has yet to republish their Pentecostarion, and so forth. But, I wanted to check, just in case.

Καλή Ανάσταση!

-Gabriel

A couple years ago, we published a Paschal CD in coordination with HTM. They were so kind to provide their new translations (prior to the publication of their new Pentecostarion) for the hymns that were included on this CD. The sheet music in Western notation can be found at our websiite at:

http://stromanospress.org/CDs/ChristIsRisen/ChristIsRisenCD.htm

Some of the hymns we do have available in Byzantine notation. If you would let us know which ones you are interested in, we would be glad to post them here if we have them.

Reader Michael

anyuta

Νέο μέλος
Hi Gabriel,

It's never too early to start practicing! :)

I have a copy of the Paschal canon set by Dr. Jessica Suchy-Pilalis...but it's in Western notation. A friend of mine has been in touch with her to see if we can get a copy of the Byzantine notation. (It seems she generally writes her music out by hand in Byzantine notation first, and then transcribes to Western...but only the Western has been published, so far.)

Also available in Western notation: http://www.thehtm.org/catalog/produ...d=578&osCsid=6236a5210754b3f9949c642d0cfa302c.

Reader Michael, thank you for sharing the link to your CD. If you would be so kind as to upload anything you have in Byzantine notation, it would be a great help! Thank you!

Kalh dynamh se olous!

Anya

Here are some of the hymns from the CD in Byzantine notation. (The last one is the Arabic "Come ye take light")

Attachments

• Pascha Stichera Doxasticon T5.pdf
    41.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Pascha and Blind Man Sun Exapostilarion T2.pdf
    37.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Pascha Stichera v1 T5.pdf
    39.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Pascha Stichera v2 T5.pdf
    38.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Pascha Stichera v3 T5.pdf
    39.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Pascha Stichera v4 T5.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 21
  • Pascha Sun Irmoi (marked) (web).pdf
    297.7 KB · Views: 36
  • ComeYeTake.pdf
    153.8 KB · Views: 40
Here are some of my attempts at Byzantine notation for just a few of the Holy Week hymns. Hope this is helpful.

Rdr. Michael

Attachments

• Holy Weds Orthros v1-2.pdf
    42.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Holy Weds Orthros v3.pdf
    42.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Holy Weds Orthros v4.pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Holy Fri eve Sat Lord I Cry v1.pdf
    37.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Holy Fri eve Sat Lord I Cry v3.pdf
    42.4 KB · Views: 26

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Attached is the Doxastikon of Pascha that my friend John Boyer wrote for me last year. I hope it's helpful!

Καλό Πάσχα!

In Christ,
Gabriel

Attachments

• Doxastikon of Pascha HTM.pdf
    133.3 KB · Views: 108

Reader Nick

Νέο μέλος
Christ is Risen!
Our group in Pittsburgh has a version of the Paschal Canon (with Katavasias) composed to imitate Vatopaidi (based on the Nassar translation):
http://www.byzantinechant.org/Hymns/Holy Week/HolyPascha.pdf
Some of the notation was simplified by the arranger, so until we typeset it and add in the rest of the orthographic features, this is how it stands.

We also have the Paschal stichera and doxasticon, based on the Arabic version (by Mitri el_Murr):
http://www.byzantinechant.org/Hymns/Pascha/Paschal_Stichera.pdf
Again, there may be simplifications here, but this one is a little more faithful to the orthography of the original, I believe (done by the same adapter). In practice, we have added a klasma to "-eth" of "openeth unto us" in the first stichera.

We will have a CD coming out soon with recordings of both of these, in addition to other things, in case that might help!

-Nick