Holy Saturday Vespers

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
Someone asked me to compose the music for the idiomela and doxasticon of Holy Saturday Vespers so that his choir can record them for a CD they're working on. Before I give him my compositions, I wanted to present them here to see if anyone has any suggestions how to improve them.

I had a tough time trying to create a smooth melody for the first three idiomela because they all begin with an unaccented syllable followed by two consecutive accented syllables ("Today Hades..."). And in the doxasticon, I was able to preserve the original melody of the first phrase, but I did so at the expense of creating a slight melodic break between the words "mystically" and "prefigure" which are not separated by punctuation. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Attachments

• Holy Saturday Vespers.pdf
    142.1 KB · Views: 111

phokaeus

Παλαιό Μέλος
Evlogeite Papa Ephraim,

I might be wrong here, but it looks like there should be a martyria for the return to plagal second mode on the syllable "c'ly" in the Doxasticon. It changes to second mode on "ses" but cadences on the hard-chromatic Pa (what is the Greek name for this, again? "Lyseis," or something like that?).

Forgive me for not having much else to contribute!

π. Ρωμανός Καράνος

Παλαιό Μέλος
Father Ephraim, evlogeite.

I suggest the following diatonic setting of the phrase "this is the blessed Sabbath" only because I love this modulation in Chrysanthos Theodosopoulos' arrangement. Also, I would prefer only one beat spent on the article "this."

Attachments

• This is the blessed Sabbath diatonic phrase.pdf
    18.4 KB · Views: 57