Greek Source for this "Ὢ τοῦ παραδόξου θαύματος"?

MakariosC

So I've discovered some of the Greek heirmologia online (Ioannis Protopsaltes, Petros Peloponnisious, and the diverse stuff on the DCS website) and have been comparing them to my memories of the automela (based off of the HTM disc, a looong time ago.... combined with a few other things I've picked up in listening, as well as a few instances I liked something else I heard better.....). I plan to, one of these days, revalidate all my memorized automela.

There's one setting of the First Mode (Dormition) Ὢ τοῦ παραδόξου θαύματος with a very high "Κεχαριτωμένη χαῖρε" that I sort of recall but which has mystified me. Fortunately the DCS English setting by Father Seraphim Dedes reflects basically my memory, so I can start my revalidation with this one.

http://dcs.goarch.org/goa/dcs/js/vi.../dedes/en/me/m08/d15/ve/b/stichera01_long.pdf

(the section in question is also attached)

Does anyone know what original Greek book, tradition, etc. it comes from?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 10.12.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 10.12.48 PM.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 40

Θωμάς Carroll

Θωμάς Κάρρολλ
Have a look at pp. 165-168 of the Heirmologion of Ioannes Protopsaltes (1903). I believe that the same setting (more or less) appears at August 15th in the first volume of the Mousike Kypsele of Stephanos Lampadarios, but, as my copy currently shares a room with a sleeping baby, I don't dare check right now . . .

MakariosC

Aha, indeed, thank you, that does look like it.

Thanks for the pointer - the table of contents suggested all the prosomia were down at like page 446, which indeed has one version of this automelon, but clearly there's another set earlier in the book where you said. So much to explore in this volume.....

And I will not claim any responsibility for the results of disturbing the baby...... :D

Last edited:

MakariosC

Yeah I think the first time I heard that melody (or a variant thereof) was on a CD of this automelon from Xenophontos. It clearly impressed me enough to track it down years later. :)

As an aside, thanks for the links. They are very nice. The second video nicely displays the Dormition Icon I believe from the Katholikon at Vatopedi - i forgot how great it is. (but then, that church is so rich...... just walking outside/in it for a few minutes would have been worth the whole trip from the U.S. by itself)