From Greece to US

I was invited to chant the Holy week in a Church somewhere in America. Do you know if there is something that should take specific care, that something be done differently in GREECE; Any differences in tipicon maybe?Any advice would be helpful

π. Ρωμανός Καράνος

Παλαιό Μέλος
It depends on the parish's particular needs and practices. In most parishes the services are abbreviated to a greater or lesser degree. Also, most churches have a four-part choir and an organ that does some of the singing (usually Kassiane's Troparion, responses to petitions on Holy Thursday, Lamentations (Εγκώμια) and Great Doxology on Good Friday evening (they usually do Sakellarides' Doxology in third mode) and everything after Christ is Risen). Some churches will go straight from Christ is Risen to the Divine Liturgy. Also, the degree of usage of English varies greatly across the country. The bottom line is that there is a very wide spectrum of practices. The best advice I could give you is to discuss everything with the priest, so that you are thoroughly prepared.

If you need more specific information, please send me a PM and I will be more than happy to help.

Last edited: