Fourth International Conference "Byzantine Musical Culture"-Full Program and Invitation

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Under the Auspices of His All-Holiness, the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew.

It is with great honor that we invite you to a Soiree welcoming the participants of the 4th International Conference "Byzantine Music Culture" to be held Thursday, October 10, 2013, at 8 pm at the European Art Center (Anapaphseos 14A, 190 02, PEANIA, Attica, Greece; tel 210.66.43.854).

A reception will follow the greetings by the invited dignitaries.

The full conference program can be downloaded here:

http://www.asbmh.pitt.edu/Conference2013English/ASBMH Program 2013-FINAL.pdf

The conference is held under the academic coordination of the American Society of Byzantine Music and Hymnology of the University of Pittsburgh, USA; www.asbmh.pitt.edu)

With Sincere Regards, on behalf of the Organisers,

NG

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Reviewing the program, I find it interesting that Nick Tarlson who is the Choir Director at Annunciation Cathedral in San Francisco (someone I have some familiarity with) will be presenting at this conference.

Given what I know of him, it's somewhat accurate to characterize Mr. Tarlson as an ardent defender of the merits of the so-called "California Composers" - as such I would be curious what evidence he will present to defend the claim that Desby was a "Byzantine Musician" given that his starting point was the work of Sakellarides and that even Desby himself admitted that his music was not "Byzantine Music".

Per Tarlson's Masters thesis, he argues for the legitimacy of the employment of Desby's compositions in a liturgical setting based on their use in the GOA for the last ~60 years..."standing the test of time."

I'm picturing many confused faces and a bit of head scratching taking place during his presentation.

R.

evangelos

Ευάγγελος Σολδάτος
.. to defend the claim that Desby was a "Byzantine Musician" given that his starting point was the work of Sakellarides and that even Desby himself admitted that his music was not "Byzantine Music".

R.

I live in Greece and I didn't know Desby till now
Is this Desby's music? It is nice but completely in western style. Sakellaridis uses polyphonic harmonies but keeps the clasic byzantine style in his music lines. Sakellaridis also is inspired by Ionian Sea chant of Zakinthos. I dont't see any common points between Sakellaridis and Desby.

PS. It would be nice for American people to learn in some way the worth of the original Byzantine (Roman) chant because the way that the monophonic harmonies introduses the orthodox spirit is unique
American people have discovered so many eastern ways of relaxing and esoterism... like yoga, indian religion and so many... I believe that if they understand the power of Byzantine chant they will love it :)

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Dear Evangelos,

To get into the mindset of those that have promoted polyphonic music (much of which has no place in a church) you need to understand the history of the Orthodox Church in the US, the psyche of the first immigrants, especially the first immigrants who concurrently faced discrimmination AND who wanted nothing to do with their old homeland. You need to understand the dynamics of the American Orthodox parish where the lay people can (and often do) have signficant power over the clergy (with everything good and bad associated with this). You need to understand the politics of the hierarchy, their relationship with an American drive to secularism and "contemporariness". There are a lot of dynamics that converged, mostly in the 1950s-1970s to bring this mindframe of polyphony ot the front. There is another thread here in Psaltologion that you might find interesting (National Forum of Greek Orthodox Musicians, on the English side) where the discussion will give you an insight into the thinking.

In my experience, the majority of people in American Orthodox churches do not want polyphony anymore. There are efforts to promote English translations in Byzantine music (Fr. Ephraim and Fr. Serapheim being the most productive and most in use). Most clergy would like to use Byzantine Music (Greek and/or English), but face the politics of the parish. Hierarchs are divided. Some venerate Byzantine Music, others are tepid and a very few detest it (although they pay lip service for political reasons). Then, there are para-ecclesiastic entities (like the National Forum of Greek Orthodox Church Musicians) who are politically-activist inside the church and strive to promote polyphony across the board by influencing the hierarchy.

Slowly but surely, the drive to bring Byzantine Music into the majority of parishes is unstoppable. The Theological Seminary has invested much into sensitising its seminarians on the topic and almost all seminarians appreciate and love Byzantine Music. It has also started a Certificate program to train chantors. This is mainly due to the infectious and effective approach by Professor Grammenos Karanos. This is a monumental change in philosophy compared to the seminary 30 years ago. The other Orthodox Seminaries in the US are also promoting and investing in BM. St. Vladimir's has inaugurated a very effective program and endowment recently.

Personally, I am also interested in why Frank Desby can be considered a "Byzantine Musician" and Mr. Tarlson, who in my experience is a wonderful person, I am sure will offer insights and supporting facts. His thesis, I am equally sure, will be followed by questions from those present at the Conference to get a better understanding of Mr. Desby's past and possibly his unknown works in the realm of Byzantine Music.

NG.

apostolos

Απόστολος Κομπίτσης
Dr. Giannoukakis' response regarding polyphonic/western music in our Orthodox churches here in the U.S. is SPOT ON. Of course, it is an extremely brief response, and is more or less a collection of "topics" ("need to understand this....", "need to understand that...", etc.) Indeed, there are a lot of things to consider, examine and research. One needs to understand, historically, what happened here and HOW we got to where we are. His response could, in my opinion, VERY EASILY turn into a three or four hundred page book on the topic. (I believe Dr. Alex Lingas gave a very interesting presentation addressing this exact issue in Axion Estin Foundation's first conference on Byzantine music in America at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in New Rochelle, New York back in 2006.)

Indeed, I also echo Dr. Giannoukakis' statement that "the majority of people in American Orthodox churches do not want polyphony anymore." I see it all the time, and I see it in my own parish here in New Jersey, where the parishioners are experiencing a prayerful atmosphere. The participation of younger men at the Analogion is, of course, very encouraging. Save for a few die-hard curmudgeons who INSIST that, "That's not the music I grew up with" (in essence, it IS the music they grew up with, in its purest and simplest form!), the majority like what they are hearing. The misconception that Byzantine Music is "turkish music" is fading... slowly, perhaps, but it IS fading.

Apostolos

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Nick Tarlson and I both serve on the Board of Trustees of a Patriarchal Institute in Berkeley, CA directed by His Eminence Metropolitan Niktas (Lulias) of the Dardanelles.

Our next board meeting happens to be tomorrow (Saturday, 10/5) and if it's not otherwise brought up I will wish him safe travels to the conference.

evangelos

Ευάγγελος Σολδάτος
Mr, Nickolaos, I understand the history and the reasons that immigrants turned into polyphonic music, thanks for analysis.
I am not agains polyphonic music, contrariwise I like it by the same way I like Greek food and Amerikan food :). The issue is not to be confused the one to the other. It is unfair to consider this kind of music as "Byzantine Music". It is not, it is western polyphonic music of orthodox church but not byzantine. :)

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
I don't disagree with you Evangelos.

At the same time, I am sure that the presentation will offer insights for those of us in the USA. Consider it a presentation that is more relevant for the USA.

NG