"EZ" Byzantine notation fonts package on OSX?

RichardRBarrett

Μέλος
Hi,

Not sure if I'm in the right place or not, but I was hoping somebody here might be able to help me --

I am attempting to use the EZ font package on a Mactintosh running the current version of OSX (Snow Leopard) and Word 2008 for Mac (version 12.2.4). I don� get any error message installing the font, but when I launch EZ template.dot, everything looks fine until I start trying to type in neumes. What are produced onscreen are just blank spaces.

If anybody has any suggestions, that would be most appreciated!

In Christ,

Richard

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
Dear Richard,

Welcome to the forum!

I got the EZ Psaltica fonts to load on Mac OS X after regenerating the TrueType font files using FontForge. But the fonts themselves are fairly useless without the corresponding Visual Basic macros for polishing and alignment. Visual Basic macros aren't supported in Office 2008 for Mac, although apparently they will be supported in Office 2011 for Mac. In the meantime, the only satisfactory solution is to use the EZ font package with Office for Windows.

Basil

Hi,

Not sure if I'm in the right place or not, but I was hoping somebody here might be able to help me --

I am attempting to use the EZ font package on a Mactintosh running the current version of OSX (Snow Leopard) and Word 2008 for Mac (version 12.2.4). I don't get any error message installing the font, but when I launch EZ template.dot, everything looks fine until I start trying to type in neumes. What are produced onscreen are just blank spaces.

If anybody has any suggestions, that would be most appreciated!

In Christ,

Richard

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
I'm having the same problem in OS X Snow Leopard. I did not have the issue under Tiger.

I think it might be useful to try and make an EZ-like font to work with OS X because there is no guarantee that Mac Office 2011 will solve the problem.

If anyone finds a Byzantine music font that works under Snow Leopard, please advise.

NG

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
...and it supports macros, but this still doesn't work on Snow Leopard.

How might we go about getting this fixed?

Perhaps we should petition PapaEphraim to look into having someone come up with a Mac fix. I am looking into a Mac as my next computer. I did note that Word in the latest Mac has visual editor, so we can start there.

JPP

Hi all,

I have fonts that work.
They're all called ED fonts. There's also something called psaltic that may be of interest.
There are 2 that do ancient Greek with all the diacritical marks, accents, etc.
(they don't do numbers, though, as all the keystrokes (shifted and non-shifted alike)
are used up. They even have the digamma character (the combined st) which is
very handy for some of the longer syllables, and that character that's o and u combined
into a single character, just like the real Greek chant books. You can reduce 'stous' to 3 characters!
There are several others that do all the neumes, phthorai, martyria, etc.

You can download them from my ftp site:
http://www.petropoulos.us/Neo-Byz/psaltic.zip
http://www.petropoulos.us/Neo-Byz/EDFonts.zip

As far as I know, they're in the public domain.
I've collected them from various websites over the years.
They're standard .TTF files, and Windows, Word, Notepad, etc., have no trouble with them.

Παναγιωτης

Last edited:

HTF

Greetings in the Lord,

Did anyone find a way to load the Byzantine notation fonts on Mac without facing issues?

Appreciate any help on this matter.

In Christ.

Hi all,

I have fonts that work.
They're all called ED fonts. There's also something called psaltic that may be of interest.
There are 2 that do ancient Greek with all the diacritical marks, accents, etc.
(they don't do numbers, though, as all the keystrokes (shifted and non-shifted alike)
are used up. They even have the digamma character (the combined st) which is
very handy for some of the longer syllables, and that character that's o and u combined
into a single character, just like the real Greek chant books. You can reduce 'stous' to 3 characters!
There are several others that do all the neumes, phthorai, martyria, etc.

You can download them from my ftp site:
http://www.petropoulos.us/Neo-Byz/psaltic.zip
http://www.petropoulos.us/Neo-Byz/EDFonts.zip

As far as I know, they're in the public domain.
I've collected them from various websites over the years.
They're standard .TTF files, and Windows, Word, Notepad, etc., have no trouble with them.

Παναγιωτης

The links you sent do not work. Does anyone else here have these?