English Texts for St. Gerasimos (Oct. 20)

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Good morning,

Was curious if anyone knows if English Texts for St. Gerasimos exist within the HTM Menaion set and/or if there are other sources.

My parish is hosting nameday festivities for His Eminence Metropolitan Gerasimos of San Francisco and would be interested in knowing what resources are out there, if any.

As St. Gerasimos is not the primary Saint commemorated that day, it seems a custom services may be needed.

Thanks,

R.

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Good afternoon,

There is an entire service for St. Gerasimus included in the back of the HTM October Menaion. Furthermore, I've set all of this doxastika and idiomela to music, if you would like to have them.

-Gabriel

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Good afternoon,

There is an entire service for St. Gerasimus included in the back of the HTM October Menaion. Furthermore, I've set all of this doxastika and idiomela to music, if you would like to have them.

-Gabriel

I would enjoy them very much :)

I believe for Vespers (per http://analogion.gr/glt/texts/Oct/20b.uni.htm) there are Stichera Prosomia which we could perhaps place behind 6 Resurrectional Stichera. I've seen his Doxastikon in Pl. 2nd which would be followed by the Theotokion in Pl. 4th.

There's also the first idiomela of the Lity in 1st mode...

Stichon would be in Plagal 4th with Doxa (looks like there are two "choices"?) and then the Theotokion of Plagal 4th.

I suppose for Apolytikia we could chant the Resurrectional followed the those for all the Saints or do just Resurrectional, St. Gerasimos and then Theotokion in 1st mode.

Does this seem correct?

Nonetheless, yes, would enjoy seeing your settings!

R.

GabrielCremeens

I would enjoy them very much :)

I believe for Vespers (per http://analogion.gr/glt/texts/Oct/20b.uni.htm) there are Stichera Prosomia which we could perhaps place behind 6 Resurrectional Stichera. I've seen his Doxastikon in Pl. 2nd which would be followed by the Theotokion in Pl. 4th.

There's also the first idiomela of the Lity in 1st mode...

Stichon would be in Plagal 4th with Doxa (looks like there are two "choices"?) and then the Theotokion of Plagal 4th.

I suppose for Apolytikia we could chant the Resurrectional followed the those for all the Saints or do just Resurrectional, St. Gerasimos and then Theotokion in 1st mode.

Does this seem correct?

Nonetheless, yes, would enjoy seeing your settings!

R.

Hello,

Sorry for such a late response. The scores can be found at the end of this topic. Please remind me as it gets a little closer to the feast day, and I will scan the lity idiomela for you.

-Gabriel

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Thank you, Gabriel - I appreciate you posting this and meant to thank you earlier.

I'd be grateful if you could provide the Lity Idiomela as well, when time allows.

Best,

Ross

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Hi Gabriel,

Many thanks me for your efforts again. First thing to mention is that I believe you have the order reversed - this Doxastikon for Vespers should be in Plagal 2nd and the Aposticha Doxastikon in Plagal 4th per http://analogion.gr/glt/texts/Oct/20b.uni.htm

I noticed a few things I thought I'd mention- one a correction and the other a comment for the vespers Doxastikon:

In the 4th line - the oligon with klasma you have on the word "streams" should be an ison in order to allow the phrase to end on βου.

In the 3rd to last line I noticed the medial cadence on Ga then the ypsele to Ni' which I really like but seldom see used. I was trying to remember where I saw it before but then remembered that same formula/phrase is used in the resurrectional Doxastikon of Πλ. δ in the Anastasimatarion - at "διπλους την φυσιν".

In the Aposticha Doxastikon, in the final 3 lines you have the cadence to κατο κε and then stay in diatonic on the jump to δι and Ζο etc up to the word "worthy" but I think you need a hard chromatic phthora above the δι martyria as you seek to end the hymn on πα in hard chromatic.

Hopefully this is useful. I'm still interested in the Lity Idiomela if available.

Yours,

Ross

Last edited:

GabrielCremeens

Hi Gabriel,

Many thanks me for your efforts again. First thing to mention is that I believe you have the order reversed - this Doxastikon for Vespers should be in Plagal 2nd and the Aposticha Doxastikon in Plagal 4th per http://analogion.gr/glt/texts/Oct/20b.uni.htm

I noticed a few things I thought I'd mention- one a correction and the other a comment for the vespers Doxastikon:

In the 4th line - the oligon with klasma you have on the word "streams" should be an ison in order to allow the phrase to end on βου.

In the 3rd to last line I noticed the medial cadence on Ga then the ypsele to Ni' which I really like but seldom see used. I was trying to remember where I saw it before but then remembered that same formula/phrase is used in the resurrectional Doxastikon of Πλ. δ in the Anastasimatarion - at "διπλους την φυσιν".

In the Aposticha Doxastikon, in the final 3 lines you have the cadence to κατο κε and then stay in diatonic on the jump to δι and Ζο etc up to the word "worthy" but I think you need a hard chromatic phthora above the δι martyria as you seek to end the hymn on πα in hard chromatic.

Hopefully this is useful. I'm still interested in the Lity Idiomela if available.

Yours,

Ross

Hi Ross,

Thanks for your helpful comments. Regarding the texts at analogion.net/glt, if you actually look at the words and compare them to the ones I have set in English, they are not actually the same. The only one that is (somewhat) the same is the Praises Doxastikon, although the HTM Menaion seems to have added quite a bit to the Greek one. But, for instance, the Greek doxastikon (which happens to be in Pl. 2):

Πόθῳ θείῳ καὶ ἔρωτι, τρωθεὶς τὴν ψυχὴν ἱερῶς Γεράσιμε πανθαύμαστε τὸν τῶν γεννητόρων πόθον ἀπώσω, καὶ συγγενῶν καὶ φίλων σαυτὸν ἀποχωρίσας, ἐμάκρυνας φυγαδεύων, τόπον ἐκ τόπου ἀμειβόμενος· καὶ δὴ ἐκ πολλῶν ἐνθέου βίου παραδειγμάτων, τὸ τῆς ἀρετῆς, μέλι ὡς ἐξ ἀνθέων, οἷα τις σοφὴ συλλεξάμενος μέλισσα, ἐν τῇ σαυτοῦ ψυχή, ὡς ἐν σίμβλῳ νοητῷ ἐναπέθηκας· διό σε ὁ Χριστὸς θαυμάτων ἐνεργείαις ἐδόξασεν ἐν γῇ καὶ τῆς χαρᾶς τῶν ἐκλεκτῶν ἐν οὐρανῷ κατηξίωσεν· ἧς καὶ ἡμᾶς μιμητὰς τοῦ σοῦ βίου γενομένου, ἀξιωθῆναι πρέσβευε, τοὺς ἐτησίως τελοῦντας τὴν μνήμην σου.

Is not the same as the English one which I have set to music. Likewise, the aposticha doxastikon is Των μοναστών τα πλήθη ("We, the multitude of monastics") is not the same as the English text from HTM.

You're right about the oligon needing to be changed to an ison on "streams of tears". Thank you for pointing that out.

Regarding the jump from Ga to ni - yes, that particular phrase is from the Pl. 4th Dogmatic Theotokion, and it is an unusual phrase to find in another doxastikon. Basically, my modus operandi for composing these doxastika for the month of October was as follows:

1) If there was a Greek original piece in the Mousiki Kypseli of Stephanos, I used that as the basis for an adaptation. Perhaps I would add an alternate line here or there that is not in the original, but I did try to adhere to Kypseli if possible, while still retaining some measure of creativity/freedom.

2) If there was not a Greek original in Kypseli (or a comparable source), then I would simply free compose, and feel a little less constrained in terms of which theseis to use or not to use. My own compositional style/approach (if I can even claim to have one) is not exactly the same as that of Kypseli, so once in a while I do something a little "unusual". So that's why I used this thesis in this particular instance.

Finally, you are right about the omission of a nenano fthora on the martyria of di before the final cadence (in the Aposticha Doxastikon). Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Someone else has all my drafts for the Month of October right now, so as soon as I get it back from him, I will scan the Lity Idiomela.

In Christ,
Gabriel

GabrielCremeens

Hi Ross,

Actually, I found a way to extract the files. Hopefully this is what you're looking for. I hope that it's not too difficult to read, since it's a handwritten pencil score. :)

-Gabriel

Attachments

• St. Gerasimus - Lity.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Hi Gabriel,

Thank you for all your efforts - there seems to be some disagreement as to a "standard" set of hymns for St. Gerasimos. I'm attempting to work with some people at our Metropolis in an effort to understand if there were particular hymns our Metropolitan wanted.

That said, you're right about the differences in the texts. My copy of the Doxastarion of Petros has the Plagal 2nd Hymn Πόθῳ θείῳ καὶ ἔρωτι... but clearly HTM has something different (and I wonder why...?).

Otherwise thank you again - I can read the handwritten score, thank you for that, and I'm glad my changes were helpful.

Warm regards,

Ross

Last edited: