Ekphonetic notation

Anatolij

Ἀνατόλιος ἀρχιμανδρίτης τοῦ Οἰκουμενικοῦ Θρόνου
If someone has some text for the ecphonetic notes, please send it to me, or if can tell me something about that, please explain.

Ev Xpicto mac,
Avtwvioc

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
There is a page on Analogion (analogion.com) dedicated to the ekphonetic style of chanting. Unfortunately, there are no scores on that page. I recommend the article of Prof. Antonios Alygizakis (in Greek):

Αλυγιζάκης Α., "Το εκφωνητικό βυζαντινό μέλος στη σύγχρονη λειτουργική παράδοση", Α' Μεσογειακή Συνάντηση Κρήτης, Μουσικολογικό Συνέδριο, Μουσικές παραδόσεις της Μεσογείου, ρίζες και συνέχεια, οργάνωση Δήμου Ηρακλείου, 27.8.1993.

Αλυγιζάκης Α., "Η εκφωνητική ψαλτική πράξη -τα χύμα και τα εκφώνως αναγνώσματα", Πρακτικά Α' Πανελληνίου Συνεδρίου Ψαλτικής Τέχνης με θέμα Θεωρία και πράξη της ψαλτικής τέχνης, Ιερά Σύνοδος της Εκκλησίας της Ελλάδος, Ίδρυμα Βυζαντινής Μουσικολογίας, σ. 89-140, Αθήνα 2000.

I have seen the latter and it contains transcriptions (scores) and studies of various older ekphonetic recordings

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

μάρκελλος

Μάρκελλος Πιράρ, Γενικός συντονιστής
Antonij,

There are several studies published in English, either chapters in some books or articles in periodicals (I have in mind Sandra Martani's article, "The Theory and Practice of Ekphonetic Notation in the Manuscript Sinait. gr. 213", in Plainsong and Medieval Music, 12, 2003, an e-periodical not accessible free of charge). If you want, let me know your desiderata through private email.