Doxasticon at the Praises of the Synaxis of the Archangels

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
Nice work, Basil!

There were only two things that caught my attention as slight stretches of the formulaic rules:

1. The melody for "Lucifer" in lines 6-7 is really a 001 formula used for a 100 word.

2. The melody in lines 1-2 looks like the 0100010 formula on p. 394 of my collection that has been adjusted to treat the word "grace" as an accented syllable instead of an unaccented one. This caught my attention, because only rarely in Greek do heirmological bridges have two consecutive syllables, each having two separate one-beat notes. I suppose the reason why this is rare in Greek is because Greek hymns rarely have two consecutive syllables that should be emphasized.

Perhaps I am being too much of a purist to even point out these two things, because I suppose they sound perfectly fine to everyone else.

+Papa Ephraim

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
Thank you for your feedback.

frephraim said:
1. The melody for "Lucifer" in lines 6-7 is really a 001 formula used for a 100 word.

Fixed by using the second 010100 formula on page 556.

frephraim said:
2. The melody in lines 1-2 looks like the 0100010 formula on p. 394 of my collection that has been adjusted to treat the word "grace" as an accented syllable instead of an unaccented one. This caught my attention, because only rarely in Greek do heirmological bridges have two consecutive syllables, each having two separate one-beat notes. I suppose the reason why this is rare in Greek is because Greek hymns rarely have two consecutive syllables that should be emphasized.

Fixed by adding a klasma to the vou. The result is an application of the 0100 formula on page 397 and the second 010 on page 398.

I've updated the posted score to reflect these changes. I've also attached the before and after here for the benefit of anyone reading this thread later.

Attachments

• before.pdf
    46 KB · Views: 9
  • after.pdf
    43 KB · Views: 36

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Another setting.

Attachments

• November 8th - Praises Doxastikon and Theotokion (GC).pdf
    294.5 KB · Views: 23