Canon of the Akathist Hymn

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
I have recently completed a version of the Canon of the Akathist Hymn based upon the Simona Petras version:
http://www.byzantinechant.org/Hymns/Lenten Triodion/Canon of the Akathist (Simona Petras) - v1_1.pdf

I have corrected some of my mistakes, but any suggestions or comments are welcome! There are some more things I plan on changing, but it depends on time...

In Christ,
Nick

Thank you, Reader Nick! I've been looking forward to anyone composing this in English using the HTM translation... very helpful! (And I love Simonopetra, to boot.)

Just one thing: do you happen to know Western staff notation? I don't read BYzantine notation, and I would love to take a look at this in a notation system I know. (If not, I'll just wait a couple years... God willing, I start at Hellenic College this fall, and I'll learn Byzantine notation then.)

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
Dear Nick,
I took a quick look at your work, and overall I think you did a good job. But there were a few places where the melody emphasizes unimportant words, like "to" (in the "Glory..") or "of" (middle of page 19). (I've composed a melody for the "Glory..." in this mode in my Vespers book that you might consider using.) Before we can set a text to music in English, we have to make sure that we are going to melodically emphasize the right words.
I came up with a melody for the verse "Most holy Mother of God, save us" that you might think is smoother. I've attached it to this message. Maybe someone else has an even better version.
+Papa Ephraim

Attachments

• verse for Akathist.pdf
    20.3 KB · Views: 126

Reader Nick

Νέο μέλος
Tim:
I'm glad to provide something from Simona Petras! Many people here in Pittsburgh like their compositions as well, hence this version. I do know western notation, although transcribing it into Finale is just a question of time. If I get a chance, I'll take a crack at it.

Papa Ephraim:
Thanks so much for your comments! I'll check through it and try and implement what you mentioned. My major reason for including the glory that I did is because that's the version normally sung at our Friday Akathists...while introducing a new translation and actual music, I didn't want to shock our priest and congregation too much. :eek:) But, I will surely look into using your version! And, I didn't notice the stress on "of" before, so thanks for pointing that out!

As for "Most holy Mother of God, save us!", I initially wanted to separate the two parts of the phrase, hence the way I wrote it. Is it better to keep them linked and smoother? (Your setting definitely flows better).

In Christ,
Nick

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Tim:
I'm glad to provide something from Simona Petras! Many people here in Pittsburgh like their compositions as well, hence this version. I do know western notation, although transcribing it into Finale is just a question of time. If I get a chance, I'll take a crack at it.

I'll look forward to it, if you have time. :)

Do you happen to have a recording of this arrangement? That would be just as good, actually.

herron.samuel

Ieropsaltis
Christ is Risen!

I noticed you didn't get some answers to your questions:

I'll check through it and try and implement what you mentioned. My major reason for including the glory that I did is because that's the version normally sung at our Friday Akathists...while introducing a new translation and actual music, I didn't want to shock our priest and congregation too much. :eek:) But, I will surely look into using your version! And, I didn't notice the stress on "of" before, so thanks for pointing that out!

If you're introducing a new translation and new music, is it really the slightly changed melody of "Glory to the Father..." that will change everything?

Obviously your parish situation is something I know nothing about, so maybe it would. If so, I would recommend having your personal parish copy of the music reflect the "Glory..." they are used to and then the one you "publish" and pass on to others (such as in this forum and emailed to others for use) reflect a "Glory..." that is correctly composed according to the formulas. No reason to pass on incorrectly composed compositions if it can be avoided! :)

Is it better to keep them linked and smoother?.
Yes.

Thanks for posting your work here. It is much appreciated.

tnkhoury

Νέο μέλος
Nick,

Do you know where I can find a copy of just the text to print out for those in attendance who would be just following along?

Reader Nick

Νέο μέλος
I'll look forward to it, if you have time. :)

Do you happen to have a recording of this arrangement? That would be just as good, actually.

Sorry! I forgot to respond to this (it was recently brought to my attention):
http://www.byzantinechant.org/Recordings/Full Akathist Canon.mp3

(There's also an audio clip up on youtube).

I hope to upload some recent updates to the setting in alignment with what was discussed many years ago, but, of course, as time allows.

-Nick