Byzantine Chant: The Received Tradition, A Lesson Book by John Michael Boyer now available for pre-order

RichardRBarrett

Μέλος
Friends - καλή χρονιά! Χρόνια πολλά for Ss. Athanasios and Cyril.

I'm pleased to announce that John Michael Boyer's Byzantine Chant: The Received Tradition, A Lesson Book is now available for pre-order from Cappella Romana Publishing. Order now for the early bird price of $74.99, discounted from $89.99. Pre-orders will ship on the book's release date, February 24, 2023. (US orders only at this time; details on international fulfillment coming soon.)
1674091484201.png
John's book includes thorough, systematic instruction on notation and modal theory. It is also an excellent reference on historical development, style, repertoire, genres, and bibliography.

Includes a letter of blessing from His Eminence, Metropolitan Gerasimos of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco. Forewords by the Rev. Fr. Dr. Romanos Karanos, Professor of Byzantine Music at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology, and Dr. Achilléas Chaldæákis, Professor of Byzantine Music and the Psaltic Art at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.

For book details, including preview pages, as well as to pre-order, click here: https://cappellaromana.org/announci...tradition-a-lesson-book-by-john-michael-boyer

Byzantine Chant: The Received Tradition launches Cappella Romana Publishing, Cappella Romana's new imprint for high quality publications of scores, scholarship, and pastoral materials related to and celebrating the ecclesiastical music of the Greek Orthodox Church in all of its richness and variety.

For all questions related to Cappella Romana Publishing, including wholesale inquiries, please contact me any time at richard@cappellaromana.org.

Many thanks!

Richard

tudorvolcano

From what I see, this book is more or less the same type of content as Georgios Konstantinou's Theoretikon.

I still find it strange that Georgios Konstantinou's book wasn't translated in English as of yet , but was translated in Romanian, my native language, over 10 years ago.

There is still GKM and the Partriarchal School's content that should be discussed, especially that concerning chronos.

RichardRBarrett

Μέλος
From what I see, this book is more or less the same type of content as Georgios Konstantinou's Theoretikon.

I still find it strange that Georgios Konstantinou's book wasn't translated in English as of yet , but was translated in Romanian, my native language, over 10 years ago.

There is still GKM and the Partriarchal School's content that should be discussed, especially that concerning chronos.
John discusses this at some length in the book. He started intending to produce a translation of Konstantinou; he quickly realized that for an Anglophone audience, something different was needed, and he expanded the scope of the project considerably. A handful of spots that are Konstantinou's text remain, principally in the early lessons; John credits and cites Konstantinou, and clearly differentiates them from his own text.

brucewayne

Νέο μέλος
If possible, would you please share the table of contents? In particular, I am wondering how extensive the non-theoretical material is. That is, the "historical development, style, repertoire, genres, and bibliography" that was mentioned.