Brief cheroubic hymn (plagal of the fourth)

Πυργάκης

Νέο μέλος
Well, it is said that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery...
Having studied the cherouvikon composed by Mr. I. Arvanitis published at the page:
http://analogion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13380
I tried to compose one of my own, for the very first time in english (and certainly not in the old notation).

I hope that downloading it shall not be a waste of your time...

Attachments

• brief cherouvikon_plagal of the 4th.pdf
    95 KB · Views: 81

herron.samuel

Ieropsaltis
Can you talk briefly on how you composed it, if you used a model hymn, any Greek sources, problems you ran into fitting it into English, etc., etc.? I'd be interested in your thought process while composing.

Πυργάκης

Νέο μέλος
I found the lyrics at the St. Anthony Monastery site, while surfing in the internet trying to locate a cheruvikon translation and subsequently I used Fr. Ephraim hyphenation macros.
I had no specific hymn as a model but I tried to use ancient papadic formulae without counting syllables. I prefer to "feel" the words fitting in the music while singing them instead of counting syllables in a mechanical way.
The result of course might not be always considered successful but I prefer to trust my personal musical intuition and experience as a psaltis.
My main concern was the final time length of the composition as I do not know the time frame in a church where English is the liturgical language. So I tried not to be taken away by more melodic but long musical phrases.