Axion Estin by Karamanes in second plagal mode

ByzantineVoice

Νέο μέλος
I can't say since I don't recognize it. It is definitely in a mixed mode with chromatic passages. It's worth finding out the score.

I tried to find a Greek title to it, but I couldn't. I meant to find a Greek video on YouTube that has a similar hymn. That would give more insights, I think. Yes, it sounds like a mix of scales.

emakris

Μέλος
It is based on the famous Axion esti by Karamanis in second plagal mode. The lowest note (and also basis tone) is Pa, sung in a low position in order to avoid high notes.

ByzantineVoice

Νέο μέλος
It is based on the famous Axion esti by Karamanis in second plagal mode. The lowest note (and also basis tone) is Pa, sung in a low position in order to avoid high notes.

Thanks. Do you have the score or the hymn on YouTube with a title in Greek?

neoklis

Νεοκλής Λευκόπουλος, Γενικός Συντονιστής
Still the only part that comes close is the following "Την τιμιωτέραν των Χερουβίμ και ενδοξοτέραν ασυγκρίτως των Σεραφείμ"

Attachments

• Άξιον εστίν, Αθ. Καραμάνη, Ήχ. πλ. β΄.pdf
    25.9 KB · Views: 41
According to my humble opinion it's in maqam Sedaraban that quite suits base and range.

A rough translation of attached pages 197-198 from "Musical modes in Eastern Medeterranean" 1999 by Marios Mavroides

Maqam Sedaraban
A downward movement characterizes this maqam. It's scale consists of a sequence of chromatic subunits, common in Arabs and Turks. The differeces appear in the 'reading' of the whole scheme.

Ascending scale
The Arabs "read" the sequence:
Hijaz 4chord from Yeghah (low Δι) / Nikriz 5chord from Rast (Νη) and again / Hijaz 4chord from Neva (δι) / Nikriz 5chord from Gerdaniye (high νη).
Nikriz is a special feature of this maqam according to the Arab "reading" (see 1)Sedaraban1.pngSedaraban2.png

Descending scale:
Here most chromatic subunits become diatonic (see 2)

Byzantine music equivalent:
Actualy Sedaraban is a transposed scale of another maqam as the "sed" prefix declares. Thus there is no direct match in Byzantine music. It could be regarded as Echos plagal second transposed down to low Δι. Like "plagal" of plagal second if the latter had theoretical substance according to Byzantine Octoechos.

AK

Last edited:
An attempt to write it down. Let more experienced collegues make corrections if needed.
It comes in a musical PDF file with the soundtrack incorporated.
  • In order to listen to it please click on the photograph of fr. Pandeleimon and permit execution from your PDF reader program.
AK

Attachments

• Αξιον εστίν Σενταραμπάν MP3.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 50

ByzantineVoice

Νέο μέλος
An attempt to write it down. Let more experienced collegues make corrections if needed.
It comes in a musical PDF file with the soundtrack incorporated.
  • In order to listen to it please click on the photograph of fr. Pandeleimon and permit execution from your PDF reader program.
AK

Thanks. So, according to the score, it's hard chromatic scale, and we start from di, three notes up from pi.