Anaphora

Panagiotis G.

Μέλος
What do people use for simple leitourgika in each tone? I have found some of M. Dositheos' on analogion.net and a few others here and there, but it seems most of the ones I come across are very over-dramatic or at least seemingly Westernized. Unfortunately my version of Pandektis is full of bad ones (Sakellaridis everywhere!). I am hesitant to chant Kliton since I fear the people would be too unaccustomed to it.

Also, does anyone know why composers started moving away from the traditional Kliton Leitourgika during the 20th century? For anyone who has chanted it in an English-speaking country, how did the people react to it?

Thank you,
Panagiotis George

Π. Δαβίδ

Γενικός συντονιστής
Monk Dositheos had written liturgika in all modes and there is a book with these compositions. I particularly like his mode VI irmologic liturgika :)

herron.samuel

Ieropsaltis
Have you ever come across the work of Panayiotis Pappas? He has a handwritten book in print, and he is a Karas follower but he doesn't use the oxeia and isn't overt with the other symbols and his Anaphora are extremely simple and elegant and he has them for each mode. If you can't get access, email he off-list at herron.samuel@gmail.com and I will try to scan them for you (the book is hard to scan, very flimsy and easily broken). I am relucant to post them publicly because he does sell them himself. I believe Papa Ephraim knows how to get a hold of him or someone who sells the books. I have written a couple English Anaphora loosely based on his work, if you are at all interested in those. I posted a couple on here actually under the "Compositions" thread.

Panagiotis G.

Μέλος
Thanks for your quick responses, Sam and Panagioti. I will check Fr. Ephraim's list of Byzantine Music books for Monk Dositheos' book, as I like what I see from him at analogion.net.

Sam, I think I have heard of who you mentioned, did he also hand write a very comprehensive 12 volume Doxastarion? My brother has the September tomos.

Π. Δαβίδ

Γενικός συντονιστής
Fr. C. Papayannis has written besides a 3 volume complete (I mean for all the days mon to fri) psaltic paraclitiki, a 2 volume complete psaltic (same as above) triodion and also a complete (same here) pentekostarion. He has written music for menaia that has all the idiomela and many of the prosomoia for feasts. His style is traditional, though he corrects accents and punctuations in the melody (ie he modifies the melody so that one does not chant "ThEos" instaed of "TheOs" etc.)

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
Sam --if you have had success scanning this, would you please send me a copy to protopsalti@orthodoxmetropolisportland.org? I copied a few things that I needed from this book, but never had time to make a complete facsimile, --I no longer have access to this book locally.:eek:

John of Portland

Have you ever come across the work of Panayiotis Pappas? He has a handwritten book in print, and he is a Karas follower but he doesn't use the oxeia and isn't overt with the other symbols and his Anaphora are extremely simple and elegant and he has them for each mode. If you can't get access, email he off-list at herron.samuel@gmail.com and I will try to scan them for you (the book is hard to scan, very flimsy and easily broken). I am relucant to post them publicly because he does sell them himself. I believe Papa Ephraim knows how to get a hold of him or someone who sells the books. I have written a couple English Anaphora loosely based on his work, if you are at all interested in those. I posted a couple on here actually under the "Compositions" thread.