Σε τον αναβαλλόμενον

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
Nice work!
I noticed that you use a ">" symbol in the Western notation version not only in places where there would be a psefiston in the Byzantine notation, but also in places where there would be no accentuation mark in the Byzantine notation. For example, in the second measure in the first line on page 1, and also for the syllable "-ly" in the second line on page 2.
I am curious to know why you chose to accent notes like those.

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
I noticed that you use a ">" symbol in the Western notation version not only in places where there would be a psefiston in the Byzantine notation, but also in places where there would be no accentuation mark in the Byzantine notation. For example, in the second measure in the first line on page 1, and also for the syllable "-ly" in the second line on page 2.
I am curious to know why you chose to accent notes like those.

The Western notation accent marks in the second measure in the first line on page 1 and the syllable "-ly" in the second line on page 1 both correspond to a supporting oligon. It's true that a supporting oligon isn't an "accentuation mark" in the same sense as a psephiston, a vareia, or a petaste in Byzantine notation. But I have noticed that chanters often perform a supporting oligon with some analysis (in certain contexts). See the comparison I've attached to this post for a few examples. That is the reason why I added those particular accent marks in my transcription.

But now that I think about it some more, I think it's better to reserve a Western notation accent mark only for a psephiston, a vareia, or a petaste in order to avoid confusion. So I don't think I'll include any accent marks for supporting neumes in my future transcriptions.

Attachments

• comparison.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 39