MIDI Keyboard

GArgiriadis

Νέο μέλος
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a midi keyboard that can be programmed to play Byzantine scales? (Preferably small and inexpensive)

I'm eyeballing the Alesis VI25, but I don't know if you can program the proper scales.

Thank you

GArgiriadis

Νέο μέλος
Update on my info request...

So far I've found this: https://analogion.com/forum/index.php?threads/byzantine-intervals.15014/

Scala seems like it may be a pretty helpful option. I can make the best of software options that I find, but frankly, my computer is a piece of junk and I highly prefer the sound quality of a keyboard.

I'm really hoping to find an inexpensive midi keyboard with an onboard controller with key mapping abilities. (Or maybe a nice santouri... those are really neat ;))

Any help is appreciated (Greek or English ok).

Thank you

Pappous43

Παλαιό Μέλος
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a midi keyboard that can be programmed to play Byzantine scales? (Preferably small and inexpensive)

I'm eyeballing the Alesis VI25, but I don't know if you can program the proper scales.

Thank you

Yes there is the BZQ alternative, try it, you have nothing to lose, everything to gain:
It is 100% free,
You can create ANY number of scales even with fractional (pythagorean) intervals, eg 9/8 and save them
You can type notes either as n p b or d r m (ni pa vou or do re mi) and save any number of scores
You can import a byz score from MK or Pandouris programs or even OCR
You can check byz orthography of your scores
You can select from a collection of human voices (saying niii paaa or doooh reeeh) or choirs or instruments or combinations thereof
You can analyse (modulate) the notes e.g. to simulate a petasti (flutter) etc
You can include isokratima
You can....
Well, here is the (almost full) list of 30+ features (some unique):
https://bzquality.wordpress.com/presentation/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdVmNUZsbdjBSL2xPQCLXLRikjDPZtfy8

Here is the flow diagram
https://analogion.com/forum/index.p...αμμα-bzq-διά-windows.24872/page-2#post-230357

Your only cost: Buy a new keyboard for your computer.

Last edited:

GArgiriadis

Νέο μέλος
Don't mention it.
I think a made a mistake,
you do not need a keyboard,
if you like, buy a cheap set of two (stereo) pc speakers, say from $20.

Hi Pappous43,

The software you're suggesting really does look great and it would be helpful for my overall learning of Byzantine Chant. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on my computer. (For the record, I blame my computer and not the software.) When I can upgrade my computer I mean to give your software another try.

That being said, for a variety of reasons, I really am looking for a midi programmable keyboard. Yes, part of it is to hear the scales and to train my ear which the BZQ software would be great for, but it is also to play the scales independent of the computer. I'm interested in playing on a keyboard directly from my Anastasimatarion. I'm also interested in playing theseis directly from memory.

For my intended purpose, the instrument doesn't need to be electronic at all, but it does have to help me develop my ear. Something like a Santouri really would be wonderful, but I doubt I'll find one under a couple hundred dollars. I already have a Yamaha Portable Grand DGX-220, but once again my computer is the limiting factor for the recommended software. I've also tried music stores and I've bought a small keyboard that looks promising that ended up working only for Apple computers. The line at every music store seems to be the same … "all midi keyboards have keyboard mapping. You can buy it and return it if it doesn't work." No sales rep anywhere seems to be able to help with software questions and most seem dumbstruck by the idea of alternate tunings of the standard tempered scale.

Perhaps if anyone can recommend different midi software that can work with my keyboard; I can give that a try.

Thanks again for the help, and once again I do hope to try your BZQ software in the future.

Perhaps if anyone can recommend different midi software that can work with my keyboard; I can give that a try.
Here is a very simple midi program that allows you to construct your own scales and perform either with your computer set of sounds or from an external synth driven by the program.
For traditional Byzantine chant try and load the scale "ΨΑΛΤΙΚΗ"
If you can read in greek there is a thorough help file that will clarify all aspects of scale construction.
You can define scales by et steps, by ratios and by cents using the existing scale files as examples.
Just unzip the zip archive, put the outcome in any place in your HD and run the program as is. Doesn't need istallation. You only have to configure your midi input and output.
Have fun
AK

Attachments

• INTUN11.zip
    49.7 KB · Views: 27

nmelodos

Hi,

Thank you

Attachments

• byzantin scales free for android devices.zip
    16.1 MB · Views: 10

nmelodos

For melodos 2013 you can import from/ or replace scales with attached file C:\ProgramData\Melodos_data\
or for melodos demo C:\ProgramData\Melodos_data_demo\

Also, we can use site https://melodos.com/isokratis/

Attachments

• Klimakes for melodos 2013.zip
    29.1 KB · Views: 6