Anaphora and "It is Truly Meet" in [Plagal] First Mode

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Good evening,

Attached to this message are some leitourgika that I composed in plagal first mode. They are not "minor," nor are they "Phrygian," etc. I wanted to have some leitourgika that were relatively traditional, and not difficult for a priest/people to follow.

I also did an adaptation of an Axion Estin by Michael Hatziathanasiou. The starting martyria says "first mode," although the cadences on Pa, Di, and Ke make it sound very much like plagal first. So, I used them together in this particular composition.

In Christ,
Gabriel

Attachments

• Leitourgika and Axion Estin - Plagal First Mode.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 116

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Hi Gabriel,

Did you ever have an opportunity to typeset this anaphora? I'd love to use it if so, if not, will make do with your hand written score.

Thanks and hope you're well!

Ross

GabrielCremeens

Hi Gabriel,

Did you ever have an opportunity to typeset this anaphora? I'd love to use it if so, if not, will make do with your hand written score.

Thanks and hope you're well!

Ross

Hello Ross,

Thank you for asking. Unfortunately no, I haven't had time to typeset it. While I do like this piece overall (the Anaphora), I've found it a little impractical when there are time constraints, due to the sticheraric theseis that I chose. I've been trying to develop ideas about slow (heirmologic) leitourgika in the style of Nikolaides, for instance, but I haven't actually sat down and written anything yet.

-Gabriel

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Hello Ross,

Thank you for asking. Unfortunately no, I haven't had time to typeset it. While I do like this piece overall (the Anaphora), I've found it a little impractical when there are time constraints, due to the sticheraric theseis that I chose. I've been trying to develop ideas about slow (heirmologic) leitourgika in the style of Nikolaides, for instance, but I haven't actually sat down and written anything yet.

-Gabriel

Gabriel,

Understood - thank you for your reply! I think it's majestic and certainly highlights the popular theseis of the mode (and I especially enjoy that you've written many components in the upper tetrachord). Hopefully it will go over well this weekend.

The only slow heirmologic Plagal 1st theseis I know from practical experience are the long katavasies for the Blindman, but perhaps the long Katavasies for the mode and some doxologies will give some ideas for those kinds of theseis. Best wishes with your efforts!

Ross

GabrielCremeens

Gabriel,

Understood - thank you for your reply! I think it's majestic and certainly highlights the popular theseis of the mode (and I especially enjoy that you've written many components in the upper tetrachord). Hopefully it will go over well this weekend.

The only slow heirmologic Plagal 1st theseis I know from practical experience are the long katavasies for the Blindman, but perhaps the long Katavasies for the mode and some doxologies will give some ideas for those kinds of theseis. Best wishes with your efforts!

Ross

Thank you Ross for your kind words.

I realized that my previous post has a mistake in it... I meant to say "fast" (!) heirmologic, not slow!

-Gabriel